What's new

Raiders of the Lost Ark: The IMAX Experience (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Seven people where we were.
That blurb, not even an article, doesn't really say much of anything about Indy except that it did surprisingly well today, not even a mention of how much it did and not a mention of how it looked on the bigger screen.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by dpippel /t/323010/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-the-imax-experience/30#post_3971905
I've seen this film MANY times. There was definitely some funkiness going on in a few scenes, and I don't mean in a good way.

I just checked the tarantula scene on the DVD and by God if the "ghosting" effect isn't there as well. I've never really noticed it before. It's more subtle than it is when enlarged to 30 feet tall, but it's there.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Yup, it is on the DVD too. I'm just like the rest of you and never noticed it before. Seeing it on the massive IMAX screen sure brought this to my attention! :P

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just got back from a faux-IMAX screening, and loved it. I did not notice any anomalies with the picture, and the sound was awesome. I'm tempted to see it again.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Brian Magnuson /t/323010/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-the-imax-experience/30#post_3971919
That's surprising because the exact same thing happened when I saw it tonight. There were lots of double images shifting and made it very blurry. Very distracting. At first I thought the same thing you did like the two projectors weren't calibrated to be synced up properly. I was about to get really annoyed by it when it stopped after the shot where Indy wipes all of the tarantulas off of Satipo with his whip. And then you're right, it did the same thing when the snake slithers up Indy when he says, "There's a big snake in the plane!" Since it happened to both of us in separate cities do you think this is an anomaly with the digital source?
I noticed this in a press screening as well. As others have mentioned I believe it was in the original source material.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Took in a fauxMax screening of Raiders this morning. Absolutely spectacular. I won't go into any technical details, but experiencing the film again in the big screen was even better than I expected. It really is one of the great ones. Just so sure of itself, impeccably paced, and perfectly acted and directed. Funny, adventurous, occasionally tough, and basically flawless. It actually rose in my esteem, seeing it again.
If you get a chance to see it, don't miss this opportunity!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It was definitely well-paced. Never a dull moment, even though I've seen it countless times. I didn't look at my watch once. (Well, my phone, which serves as my watch.)

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it. A lot of shots seemed to be slightly out of focus though, did anyone else notice that or was there possibly soft focus in my theater? The IMAX previews were sharp. Some of the colors seemed a bit off, particularly in the beginning jungle trek, which seemed brownish and in the ark opening scene, where some of the special effects shots seemed mismatched color wise. It could be I am just used to the laserdisc and DVD versions and the IMAX had the correct colors. The sound was excellent, very true to the original mix with excellent dynamic range.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Go back and read the rest of the topic it's not very long, lots of opinions on the look of the movie.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
I did read the thread and the comments about the ghosting in early shots, which I did notice, but not about other scenes with soft focus. It seemed to change on a shot by shot basis. But still a lot of fun.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That's what I saw. Sme looked fuzzy but most was very good.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
No reflection. But I think there Was a scene when a car goes
over the cliff that was enhanced for the previous DVD.
If I saw it correctly it looks like he enhanced version is still in there.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
The revised cliff scene was only used in HD broadcasts. The original version was in the IMAX. The snake reflection is removed in the shot with Indy, but is present in the shot with Marion. It's more subtle. No other changes except for some very minor sound mix changes.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
TheBat said:
I read from this following link that the imax for raiders was very impressive.. I was curious about the crowd and reaction? big or small etc etc? thank you. I am going tuesday night. I have a bit of a wait.
Jacob
http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/first-box-office-the-words-6-5m-cold-light-of-day-3-5m-for-terrible-moviegoing-weekend/
Our theater was about 3/4 full. All ages, quite a few people with kids. Decent crowd reaction, but nothing like when the film first ran, it was clear most people had seen it before. People did applaud at the end. We took a 26 year old friend who had never seen it before and he liked it a lot, despite it being a little bit dated to his eyes. He commented on the music saying that "movies back then sure used a full sized orchestra" lol.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes, those "blurry" shots have always been part of the print. IMAX just magnified them.
AS for the boxoffice it is estimated to have made $1.5 million over the weekend. That's OK I guess for a 30 year old film in limited release.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I saw it Saturday and loved it. Nothing like seeing this on the big screen again. My only complaint was the volume was too loud.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Dave H /t/323010/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-the-imax-experience/30#post_3973712
I saw it Saturday and loved it. Nothing like seeing this on the big screen again. My only complaint was the volume was too loud.

Just got back from it. Agree all the way. A wonderful evening in a modern movie theater.

This was the local AMC where I know one of the managers. He's just starting there and has a bit to learn, but he said the IMAX features, at least, come with the level set. They can bump it down slightly if they somehow deem it necessary.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A theater near me is showing Raiders in non-IMAX all next week. I don't know if this is 4K/2K/or 35mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks