What's new

R2 Uk - Best Of 2003 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
Despite the usual gripes about R1 favouritism, this hasn't been a bad year for R2 UK, and we've seen several excellent editions (so far) exclusive to us. In no particular order, I think the best of these have been -

THE SWEENEY SEASON ONE - another excellent job by Network video, one of the best series box sets ever.

THE DEER HUNTER S.E

HENRY - PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER S.E

ROMAN POLANSKI COLLECTION - Anchor Bay gave us a better package than we could ever have hoped for

THE HITCHER S.E

CITIZEN KANE - a version that complements the R1, with a truer print by all accounts

MISERY S.E

M Special Edition - with this and the upcoming Sunrise, Eureka have really got their act together

PSYCHO COLLECTION - a botched job but at least we've got them

A FISH CALLED WANDA S.E - the film hasn't worn well, imo, but there's no denying it's a good edition

JAM - nicely designed set for the surreal comedy series

THE PINK PANTHER COLLECTION - coming to R1, but we got it first !

Also, on R2 France -

FLASH GORDON SE - commentary by Hodges ! Great design. CD by Queen.

THE SHELTERING SKY S.E - comm by Bertolucci, excellent doc.

Any more to add ?

James Reader

Screenwriter
League of Gentlemen Series 3 - absolutely stunning 2 disc set crammed full of relevent and interesting supplements (and the programmes aren't bad at all either)

Dr Who - The Three Doctors - again a wonderful disc from the BBC's Dr Who range. Excellent restoration that puts some movies to shame along with wonderful archive supplements - just right for the show's 40th Anniversary (plus I got a free Bessie)

Brady Bunch in the Whitehouse (R4)- I've extended this list in include other non-R1 discs, simply because BBitW came out on R4 earlier this year. Forget about Indiana Jones or Lord of the Rings. I now own my ultimate trilogy!

24 Hour Party People - Wonderful film, excellent package. The commentary tracks (including the visual commentary on the second disc) are all interesting and funny.

Bo' Selecta Series 2 - never liked this on the telly much, but was given the series 1 and 2 boxset. The series 2 DVD give the option of watching without the laugh track and the comedy is much improved - it made me re-evaluate my opinion on the show. Lots of supplements and excellent menus too.

The Amicus Collection - I could have done without "And Now The Screaming Starts"... I think I would even have preferred "The Killer Bees". But an excellent package from Anchor Bay UK, and Asylum alone is worth the money.

Real Name
Anthony
Yes, the DR WHO discs have been excellent. I'd add THE TALONS OF WENG CHIANG and THE DALEK INVASION OF EARTH to that list.

Also THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE S.E - beautiful packaging and THE SHOCKING TRUTH documentary to boot.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Misery SE is great...but available in other regions. No exclusive here. I own the Brazilian NTSC version.

But you guys still have the first 4 (almost) seasons of Will and Grace where we JUST got the first.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's interesting. I saw a few episodes and didn't think much of it either. Never realized it could be presented without the laugh track.

Cees

James Reader

Screenwriter
Only series two has a no laugh track option. Series 1 comes only with the laughter.

It really is much better with no laugh track.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The reverse happened to the MASH series. Most Europeans, I suppose, didn't even know it had a laugh track.

When I got the DVD of the first season, I listened to it with the laugh track on - for a short while. Couldn't believe they aired it anywhere like that.

Cees

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the best examples of the very good R2 editions are the Star Trek boxsets (better packaging than R1) and The Shield Season 1 (widescreen instead of region 1's full frame).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks