What's new

R2 Truffaut subtitles update (2 Viewers)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
According to cinestore.com some of the next wave of Truffaut movies (MK2 – R2 France) will be subtitled in English. There are two boxes coming out on the same day (October 9th). Box 2, The Adventures of Antione Doinel, will not be subtitled. Box 3, Shoot the Piano Player and Confidentially Yours will have subtitles. All 6 DVDs are actually available now, but I will be waiting for the boxes (much cheaper, and you get a … box).
Contrary to an older dvdfr.com listing, all 6 DVDs sport anamorphic transfers.
See: Link Removed
Ted

I hope somebody can actually confirm this. I found several infos about those new Truffaut discs and everybody tells something different.
I still hope to see those discs with English subtitles as it was the case with the first ones.
Markus

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Ted, thanks in part to your help, I am already a happy owner of the original box. Now, if I understand you correctly, you have concluded there are two new boxes, with all the films in both new boxes including English subtitles. If this is true, could you helpfully paste a link to the Cinestore page where both boxes can be ordered? Thank you.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Ted, thanks in part to your help, I am already a happy owner of the original box. Now, if I understand you correctly, you have concluded there are two new boxes, with all the films in both new boxes including English subtitles. If this is true, could you helpfully paste a link to the Cinestore page where both boxes can be ordered?
Link Removed
Yes, you do understand me correctly on the subtitles. (And you don’t have to take my word for it, you can look at the menu screenshots at www.musicbox.fr )
The one thing to keep in mind is that while the individual DVDs are out now, the boxes won’t be available until October 9.
Ted

Didier

Agent
I just called MK2 in Paris, I had confirmation that all Truffaut films DVD will have english subtitles.
The "les aventures d'Antoine Doinel" box will contain 5 DVD. 4 films : "Les 400 coups" (The 400 blows), "Baisers volés" (Stolen kisses), "Domicile conjugal" (Bed & board) and "L'amour en fuite" (Love on the run), and a bonus DVD.
The "Les polars" (the thrillers) box will contain 2 films : "Tirez sur le pianiste" (Shoot the pianist" and "Vivement dimanche" (Confidentilly yours).
All DVD are region 2 PAL anamorphic (16/9).
Release date is October 9th 2001. More Truffaut films will be released on DVD in November.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Didier,
What is the 5th DVD in the Antione Doinel box?
And since you know who to call at MK2, could you find out if the upcoming box set of Krzysztof Kieslowski’s Trois Couleur will have subtitles?
Thanks,
Ted

Didier

Agent
The 5th DVD is a bonus DVD. I don't know the detailed content, but it is likely to be interviews, deleted scenes (the usual stuff). There should be also short films that Truffaut made before "The 400 blows".
Week-end is starting here... So about "The three colors" I'll try to get the infos next week.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Ted, thanks so much for the helpful link. I have already placed my order, now - like you - I'll be eagerly waiting for the delivery. Again, thanks for your help.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
It is my understanding that only the films, including the shorts have subtitles. No subtitles on the extras.
Ted

Peter_C

Auditioning
Any update on whether there will be English subtitles on the Kieslowski Three Colors box set?

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I don't know yet if the French Kieslowski set will have English subs, but the UK company Artificial Eye will be releasing the discs with apparently the same supplementary material as on the French discs complete with English subs.
Specs listed at Blackstar.co.uk:
- Scene by scene commentary by Krzysztof Kieslowski. Making of documentary. Interviews with Irene Jacob, Jacques Witta (editor) and Marin Karmitz (producer). Excerpts from the original soundtrack by Zbigniew Priesner. Theatrical trailer.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
The UK discs are only being offered separately, and I've seen nothing about a documentary anywhere. Can you provide a link with info about the documentary and other specs for the French set?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The UK discs are only being offered separately, and I've seen nothing about a documentary anywhere. Can you provide a link with info about the documentary and other specs for the French set?
Here is the link: http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=4402
They say that the Bonus DVD will contain: "Kieslowski by Kieslowski"
I am not sure what this docu is -- perhaps they mean this one: Link Removed
Ted

Didier

Agent
I finally managed to get some infos from MK2 (France) :
The five DVD box for Truffaut's "Antoine Doinel" will have english subtitles on all films, but not on the Bonus DVD. Release date is now sheduled beginning of November 2001.
The three DVD fox for Kielowski's "Three colors" will have english subtitles on all three films, but not on bonus. Release date is October 23th 2001.
This box will also be released later (mid November) in the U-K will all films and bonus in english.
Didier.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Didier,
Thank you for the update. Do you know if the 3 colors UK release will contain the same bonus/supplements as the French one -- is it the same release but for the additional subtitles?
Also is there an exact date for the Truffaut Boxes 2 & 3? cinestore.com seems clueless, they've changed the date from Oct. 9 2001 to Oct. 10, 2001.
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks