What's new

R1 exclusive canadian Brotherhood of the Wolf DVD (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
There are no English subs on TVA's R1 SE of Amelie, so I don't take it for granted that there will be English subs on their Brotherhood of the Wolf release.
Two different scenarios here.
TVA only had the rights to the French version of Amelie (minus English subtitles) in Quebec. Alliance Atlantis holds the rights to the film everywhere else in Canada.
TVA has the rights to distribute Brotherhood of the Wolf all over Canada, this is why there will be English subtitles on the film and extras.

Boy, how I love my country. Put another title on the list of must buys this year. I don't think anyone's getting any Christmas presents this winter. :)
- J.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
This is great news. If the quality is anything like the French release, we're all in for a treat. I have the French LE and the picture and sound quality (DTS in particular) are just spectacular!

Han

Second Unit
(i hope this includes the commentaries).
D'oh! Has this ever been done? Subs for a main commentary track?

5 years of French classes at America's most prestigious schools and all I'm comfortable with saying in French are things like, "Where is the bathroom?" and "Henry is going to the beach.":p)

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Hey guys,

It seems someone else either wasn't under a gag order by TVA or their contact emailed them and allowed them to publicize things. Not a big deal. I just checked in with my source and while he's still being vague he told me that "Most of the Special Features will be sub-titled". Hopefully this means the commentaries and the extensive documentaries. As soon as I can get more information out of him I'll post it. He tends to only answer selective questions from my emails.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thank you to our great neighbors to the north! I'm all over your superior version of this film!

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Although this is off topic. The Canadian Smallville DVD commentary which is in English to begin with has subtitles for all the different languages included on the disc.

You can read my review on my website.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
D'oh! Has this ever been done? Subs for a main commentary track?
The UK 2-Disc edition of "Les Rivières Pourpres" (aka "The Crimson Rivers") had English subtitles on both French commentary tracks, not to mention on all of the other French-language extras.

I seem to recall that there were lots of other language subtitles on there as well, for both the movie and for the commentary/extras.

However, I believe that the French commentary on the USA release was somewhat bizarrely left un-subtitled.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
However, I believe that the French commentary on the USA release was somewhat bizarrely left un-subtitled.
This was a Columbia release in many territoriese (US, UK & Aus) so they had the money and global sales to spread the cost over.

The US release came out many months before the UK release so maybe they had not done / completed the translation at the time of its US release.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'll be picking up the Canadian edition as well.

It's a shame there's no superior Canadian version of Strange Brew in the works.

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
Can anyone else confirm that the English subtitles on the Canadian 3-disc set of Brotherhood of the Wolf look terrible? I received my set last week and popped it in briefly to check out the DTS track (loved it in the theater!) and was horrified to see these computer-generated subtitles in the lower black bar on my 4:3 Sony. I'll be soon moving to a front-projection setup and I'm wondering - how do subtitles like this display on a 16:9 setup? I haven't tried setting my player to 16x9 output and looking at it on my 4x3... but I'm mainly just wondering if the subtitles are supposed to look this ugly? They look very jagged and almost italicized. Not pretty. Bummer. Anyone else comment on these? Thanks.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
The look is mostly player oriented. I didn't notice them looking badly on my RP91, but then again, all player generated subs look bad to me. I believe they were all in the picture area on my 16:9 set.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Now that you mention it, the subtitles are not that aesthetic. I noticed that right off, but quite honestly within a few moments I was totally wrapped up in the film which is just incredible IMO. In 16:9 mode, the subs are totally within the picture, NOT in the black bar area. I've so far watched one of the supplementary discs and it is one of the best 'making of's' that I've seen to date. Just trying to find the time to watch the third supp disc. Great stuff. I admire Ron Epstein's dedication to reviewing the various DVD releases. I think he does the best job in reviewing DVD titles. He leaves no stone unturned in his reviews.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks