What's new

R1 Chaplin Mutuals SE in June (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
2 DVD-9s should be just fine for the Mutuals; they were previously on 3 DVD-5s. We're only talking about 4 hours or so of running time.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I have the Mutuals on laser disc and never got the first DVD set because I didn't like the music and didn't want to pay for that music again.

However, Carl Davis scores definitely make me want to re-buy!

But...are these being transferred from PAL or NTSC masters? I didn't buy the recent Chaplin releases because of all the PAL transfer issues.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I can't wait to pick up this set. THE RINK and ONE A.M. will finally, reportedly, be complete. Sadly, there are many bits missing from some of the other films in the series in all video releases of them, due to distributor cuts or print damage over the years. THE IMMIGRANT, for instance, is pretty chopped up; I have a version on DVD-R restored by a friend who collects film prints, and the difference is striking. I'll be interested to see how many more previously missing bits turn up. And I'm greatly looking forward to Carl Davis' scores, which can't be anything but a step up from Michael Mortilla's scores. What is sad, though, is that the wonderfully bouncy scores for the Van Beuren versions of the Mutuals aren't being preserved; yes, the sound effects were overdone, but the '30s scores compiled by Winston Sharples and played by Gene Rodemich and his band are fabulous. I think it would be a great (if commercially unsound) idea if these scores were reorchestrated and rerecorded to fit the new longer restored prints of the Mutuals. I can dream...but since this will never come to pass, I've retained my old Republic laserdiscs.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Paula,

They are direct NTSC transfers and have never looked better! There's only one PAL conversion-- BEHIND THE SCREEN because there were many editorial changes and it seemed overwhelming to change them all. But great care is always taken at Image to have a PAL transfer done CORRECTLY, and I'm sure you won't be able to tell the difference between that and its NTSC counterparts.

GENTLEMAN TRAMP is NTSC.

CHAPLIN GOLIATH is from PAL because it was a Scottish television program and that was the nature of the beast.

Jeff,

Being as patchwork as they are, I'm sure we'll all be glad to see the Mutuals in any of their fullest form.

While I share an appreciation with you for the Winston Sharples scores, it would be indeed a massive undertaking to even try to sync that music with fuller editions of the films with new recordings. However, that's not to say you can't edit your own needle-drops to these new editions from the old scores!

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think the Passport 5-disc set reeks of public domain tripe. The giveaway is the inclusion of all the First National films (except for The Kiid), which are still copyrighted, I think.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

The original cut is the one that's PD. The "director's cut" by Warner is the only one that has a copyright. THE KID has been included in at least five different Chaplin sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks