What's new

R.I.P. Walt Disney Treasures series? See post #82! (1 Viewer)

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Considering the fact that the rest of the classic animated shorts have been included in the WDT line so far, we definitely NEED the remaining 50+ DD shorts. These two volumes (?) could also include the three or so C&D shorts and Susie and Casey that for some strange reason were not included in the Rarities set.

We can't let them have peace until they've finished - it makes little sense to give up at 85%!

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Well the Legacy collection will at least have the Oswald shorts and Destino, so there is a possibility of more animation coming from that new series.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I share the sentiments of everybody who's pissed about this. Not because I want the series to "keep going" or something. (I don't.) But simply because they're NOT DONE releasing the Donald shorts. If they would just release the last two Donald volumes, and then end the series, I would be glad it was over with.

I have a terrible feeling that the reason the last two Donald volumes aren't out yet is because the Disney co was kind of trying to spread it out so thin that they could continue milking as much money as they could out of a series that was getting into live action material that most of us don't care about. Would it have been so ridiculous for them to have instead done just one single 8-disc complete Donald set? A 7-disc Mickey set? A 2- or 3-disc Pluto set? But instead they had to make sure they water it down enough that they have more material than they have time with which to release said material.

For the last couple years I've had a feeling that if they keep spreading their classic animated shorts volumes out so thin, then something like this would happen. The feeling has always been that they're making efforts to keep us at the disadvantage.

The Walt Disney Treasures series was one of the few things that the company had going for it these days that didn't let me entirely write them off as sold-out, money-hungry, or completely out of touch with which of their properties consumers like us really care about... and I know that I'm not the only one that thinks this way. But if the Treasures really are gone, then they're shooting themselves in the foot.

And here's a reminder not to blame Leonard Maltin for anything. He's been our advocate all along. He loves these shorts just as much as any of us. It's the Disney company that we should be mad at.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
What a shame! I just don't understand how they do this to the collectors & buying public. I thank Leonard Maltin for his enthusiasm and participation with the Treasures series. I'll enjoy what I have so far. Shame on you Disney!
Wonder if Roy Disney has made any comments anywhere?

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I sent an email to BVHE just now. Probably won't make much difference in itself, but I tried.

I know some (perhaps many) will disagree with this, but I wish more than ever now that space hadn't been annually wasted with lame stuff like THE SWAMP FOX etc. Get to that stuff AFTER the cartoons. Just IMO, of course.

Also, considering the demand for these on ebay last time I checked (at least, those from the first 2-3 waves), I'm surprised the series was deemed unpopular enough to be discontinued. It always seemed to me that the WDTs were issued to a great deal of fanfare.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
The worst part about this is; The Treasures will porbably be the only time the disney cartoons get a comprehensive, remastered, collector-oriented release in Home Video, EVER!!!!!

Disney'll go back to the VHS/Laserdisc route and never release another compilation with more than 7-8 cartoons on it again. There'll never again be a serious attemp to organize comprehensive box sets for the Disney shorts, or treat them to adequate restoration; The Wartime and Un-PC toons will never see the light of day again, disclaimers or not.

I don't understand the attempts to be optimistic here; Things are only going to get worse, not better.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Since the Legacy series will have the very rare (not to mention very old) Oswald cartoons --- what makes us think there won't be a future Legacy set devoted to the remaining Donald Duck cartoons?

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I'm thinking they've cancelled the Treasures series because they're replacing it with the Legacy series. After all, they're almost the same thing, down to the tin cases.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I think you're probably right Kevin, not only about Disney stuff but for a lot of non-mainstream films/TV etc, which is the main reason I have a big DVD collection. SO much of what has been released on DVD will not see the light of day on a high def format or will be relegated to nothing but pay-per-view/on demand. No thanks.

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
They should release the last two Donald sets, and then get it over with. To do otherwise would be unexcusable.

Jamie Badminton

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie Badminton
With the theatrical shorts being just three volumes away from completion, we can't let the animated side of the Treasures collection end now, as rumored, without a fight. This new information from Jon Cooke, over at GoldenAgeCartoons.com proves we must make our feelings heard...

------
Cross posted with permission....

As a poster here recently pointed out, Leonard Maltin has been informed that Walt Disney Home Video presently has no further plans for further Walt Disney Treasures waves. Disney public relations personell might tell you otherwise, but a private source close to the Treasures series has advised me that the bad news is absolutely reliable as of right now.

Apparently— and here's where my source went into more detail than Mr. Maltin— the Treasures series is not being halted due to lack of public interest, nor do the most recent wave's smaller edition numbers (60,000 vs. 100,000+) reflect plunging sales. From what I understand, the smaller editions and possible cancellation merely reflect deliberate marketing efforts, so that Treasures will not sideline newer products that Home Video management wants to launch.

My source tells me that WD Treasures' demise could still be reversed; that this is the time of year when the annual wave begins production, so if a go-ahead came down from the appropriate powers on high, another wave could yet take place. My source recommends that anyone who's interested e-mail or write Dick Cook, Chairman of the Walt Disney Studios and a longtime enthusiast for the Treasures series. Mr. Cook may not yet be aware of the series' cancellation; if he is, he may not know how many fans support its continuation. He needs to be informed of both.

Dick Cook
Chairman, Walt Disney Studios
The Walt Disney Company
500 S. Buena Vista St. Burbank, CA 91521-9722

e-mail: [email protected]

Please be polite in your letters but still let them know much you support the Treasures line and are disappointed that they may be ending soon. I suggest we request specifically that the next wave include the remaining two Donald sets; some would call two Donald tins at once overkill, but that way Donald's cartoons can at least be released complete before the series' future is threatened again.

As a final word; please don't turn this into a complaints thread about the relatively minor glitches (i. e. use of edited prints) on the most recent Treasures wave. Let's please try to stay on topic in this particular thread and focus on the bigger picture which is contacting Mr. Cook directly and making sure another wave of Treasures happens, period. ------------------------------

I think Jon is completely right; we can make a difference but if we start mentioning other issues other than the desire to see the collection continue, then we'll just be clouding the issue. I reccommend that we shout for the importance of seeing Chrolological Donald volume 3, Chronological Donald Volume 4, and an additional Rareties/Educational animated shorts collection to mop up all of the loose ends that Leonard left off the previous sets in good faith. With that we'll have every theatrical animated short on DVD and I think most of us who have invested $600+ in the line so far will be happy campers!

If you are particularly eager, once you've contacted Mr. Cook (details above), here are some more details of people to badger...

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Attn. Consumer Relations
PO Box 3100
Neenah, WI 54957-3100
(800) 723-4763

or...

The Walt Disney Company
Attn: Buena Vista Home Entertainment
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521
USA

And two names to use if you prefer (suggested by Geezil over at GAC), also at the 500 South Buena Vista Street location are:

Anne Sweeney
Co-Chair, Disney Media Networks

George W. Bodenheimer
Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks

Disney.com also have a feedback section and if anyone has any further customer service phone number please post it here!

We have a chance now to make a difference so write, write, write and let's at least try and create a traditional Disney happy ending for the Treasures collection :) :cool:

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

Very, very true - from my point of view. The Treasures are practically the only Disney product I've been interested in over these past few years.

Let's take action and contact the right people. We should make it clear exactly what's missing and why it'd look bad to leave it like that - unfinished business. I wonder, aren't there any people in the "right" positions who care about having this material completed...?

Karl R

Stunt Coordinator
Many thanks to PaulP...I used your message as a template for my own email to Mr. Cook (similar thoughts, different wording.)

Hopefully, even if he isn't interested in this matter, Mr. Cook will forward our thoughts to those in charge at BVHE.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, I think it's wise not to use exactly the same words. Certainly the first e-mails to arrive may be read even more carefully, and should not look like sent from a site with a preformed letter.

I will reword that message as well, for my own message to mr. Cook. Thanks, Paul!

Cees

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
This is sad news indeed. I have every treasures release to date and am disappointed that it is done. I will write a letter to Mr. Cook as well.

On a related note - did anyone ever get around to making bands to go over the metal cases for the releases that did not have them. I remember someone doing excellent custom inserts, and in that thread the custom bands were mentioned.
Wonder if it happened.

Let's see the rest of those Donald Shorts...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks