What's new

R.I.P Momofuku Ando (the inventor of ramen noodles) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
R.I.P., and thank you for getting me through college (when I put myself through school it was all I could afford).

brentl

Senior HTF Member
So really, how far are we away from a celebrating the death of "that guy that sold me a pastrami sandwich in 1994"?

Now if you mentioned the creator of Kraft Dinner I'd be right with you.

Brent

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Hell, married with kids, and I still enjoy Ramen now and again. And I wouldn't have lived through college without it.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
What is very interesting is that Ando-san's invention of instant ramen noodles is one food product where its popularity crossed cultural lines in no time flat. The instant ramen noodles in a cup probably spurred on the sales of hot water airpots all over Asia. ;)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
you're kidding, right? i'm not sure where you're from, but ramen noodles are found in every grocery store around. on the wikipedia article for momofuku ando, it's said that in 2004, 70 BILLION servings were sold. i'd like to see kraft dinner's numbers.

CJ

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"you're kidding, right? i'm not sure where you're from, but ramen noodles are found in every grocery store around. on the wikipedia article for momofuku ando, it's said that in 2004, 70 BILLION servings were sold. i'd like to see kraft dinner's numbers.

CJ"

What I was saying was more about why are we mourning some guy, it's a cheap food product. Me, I've had more KD in the last year than I've had ramen in my whole life.

Oh, I'm from the now tropical City of Toronto ... get out your sunscreen!

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
When I was younger and starting out we would go get a ton of Ramen noodle packs. I'm not quite sure what a Kraft Dinner is, unless you mean mac n cheese. A sad day indeed.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Mac n Cheese by Kraft foods. North of the 49th we refer to it as Kraft Dinner AKA "KD" AKA "Yellow Death". I'm not sure, but that last reference may be more uncommon.

Out of respect for the departed I will say R.I.P Mr. Momofuku; although, I have yet to taste any instant ramen that actually tastes good. Most of the time it seems to have little taste at all.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Have you had Sapporo Ichiban? I eat it frequently when I want something quick, and I can certainly afford something other than ramen.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Of course, when I was in Toronto a couple of years ago, I got the impression it was completely populated by Japanese. Even the housegirl at the bed-and-breakfast I was at was Japanese. I wonder if cup-ramen now sells better than Queasy-Cheesy there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks