"Quincy, M.E.", Season 3 where are you?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Videowack, Sep 15, 2006.

1. beatlejam

beatlejam Stunt Coordinator

It is SO FRUSTRATING dealing with Universal TV releases! They have such a great back catalog, but so much of their stuff is "one and done"[​IMG]
    I would love more QUINCY, HARDY BOYS/NANCY DREW, INCREDIBLE HULK, NIGHT GALLERY, etc.
    Are the sales really that bad?! It seems to me some profit is better than none. And I'm sure people would continue to buy them over the years (i.e., there will always be a new generation discovering the Hardy Boys).
    I would just like these great shows to be given the proper respect they're due (and I would like us, the fans, treated respectfully, too!)

2. Firebee

Firebee Supporting Actor

Well, I would love to see more ``Quincy'' and ``Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew'' (isn't there a new ``Hardy Boys'' comedy planned with Ben Stiller?) and I do have some hope for ``Incredible Hulk'' since they *finally* knuckled under last year and released Season 1 instead of that stupid best of collection, which I refused to buy. Universal still makes a lot of us [​IMG] and [​IMG] at the same time!

3. 70sTVlover

70sTVlover Stunt Coordinator

Yeh, you spoke about a new generation of the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew, now I haven't seen that as of yet, but I am in my late teens and I've discovered Quincy and I really want more of it released!

4. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Here's one more frustrated viewer, who wants more "Quincy", one of the most popular 70s shows and only one release so far...!!!!! [​IMG]

5. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Were there music edits in the R2 boxset of the first and second season of Quincy, ME?

Did Quincy, ME reach a natural end or was it cancelled because of low ratings? The last episode of the eighth and final season "The Cutting Edge" was a pilot for a spin-off that never happened.

6. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

Richard, please join the "Quincy, M.E." fans over on Shout! Factory's community forum in letting them know that we would like to have the remaining seasons put out and unedited. They have a licensing agreement with Universal, though they haven't said either way whether the studio would be willing to license the series to them.
    Shout! Factory Community - Universal properties of interest?
    I'm "macphoen" over there, BTW.

7. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Chris, haven't long added some comments to the thread on Shout! Factory's forum about unreleased or stalled Universal series on DVD.

8. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

Thanks Richard for doing that. I appreciate it.

9. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    One of my favourite Quincy, ME episodes was the first episode with Diana Muldaur guest starring as a scientist or doctor. It was about a race against time to find the source of an outbreak of a disease/illness at a football stadium where an American Football game was soon to take place.

10. nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk Supporting Actor

am still hoping for this in 2009

11. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Me too, I feel though a show like this with many words from the medical world, should have the subtitle option. Something which SF! doesn't include, but Uni does. :/

12. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I'm also hoping for a 2009 release for Season 3.

13. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Was Quincy, ME cancelled at the end of the 1982-83 US TV season because of low ratings?

14. Glenn Curtis

Glenn Curtis Stunt Coordinator

15. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    What outstanding news!! Some great shows in this season, especially the last couple, "Double Death" and "Requiem for the Living". "Passing" and "Matters of Life and Death" are also excellent shows.

To answer the cancellation question, the show had had middling ratings almost from the beginning, but they had taken a dip that last year. I read that it was a combination of that plus Klugman's contract ending after that seventh year and his not particularly pursuing the negotiations to continue.

Maybe the sleeping giant, Universal, is stirring...

16. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Ah, excellent news! Looking forward to starting this series back up.

Gary "wacky, wacky stuff - this collecting TV shows on DVD" O.

17. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

I'm surprised that Universal is releasing this directly rather than licensing it to Shout! Factory or Arts Alliance America.

18. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Likewise on the fact that this is direct from them, rather than licensed out.

If one or two other stalled titles follow on this ("Kojak", "McMillan And Wife" or please, please, "Dragnet"), then we'll see more than ample compensation for CBS/Paramount scaling back the rest of this year.

19. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    That is an astute and interesting observation, Bob. I just don't know what to make of it. But I'm glad they made the decision they did.
    Gary "if only we could get them to begin releasing LITB again, I'd be truly ecstatic" O.

20. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

It's just strange to me that Universal would release this when you consider all of the licensing that they have done with Shout!, Arts Alliance and Timeless Media. For me, the situation with "Quincy" is a bit analogous to "Adam-12" and I thought that if this series were to get a revival on DVD, that it wouldn't come directly from Uni, but rather through one of their licensees, Shout! being the most obvious.