What's new

"Quincy, M.E.", Season 3 where are you? (2 Viewers)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The third season of Quincy, M.E. was passed by the BBFC three weeks ago. Acorn Media UK are releasing it. No release date yet.

And has anyone got the book Quincy, M.E.: The Television Series, which was published in 2009? I'm sure I read about this book a few years ago, but had read negative comments about it.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I've started watching season 4 of Quincy and I have come across a little problem. On disc 1, the episode 'Death By Good Intentions' there is a sound dropout. During the climax and reveal, guest star Brock Peters has a line of dialogue that isn't there. The sound just drops out for the entire line of dialogue. Now it could be a result of the condition of the original master tape, but the rest of the episode seems to be in pristine condition with no other visual or audio anomolies. It could also be a fault in the transfer or manufacturing of the set. Finally, it may also be intentional given the nature of the episode. Now, I am not a conspiracy theorist but the way in which the sound dropout happens is very, very odd. The dropout is too precise. It clearly starts and ends with this line of dialogue. It doesn't just suddenly pop up in the middle of the line and come back near the end nor in the middle of the next characters line. In other words, there doesn't seem to be any randomness to the way in which it happens. It sounds odd, I know, but like I said the drop out is just too precise. There is a lot of talk throughout the episode about Affirmative Action and perhaps the line in question is not up to todays PC standards and was intentionally bleeped out. I don't know but something about the way the dropout happens just bugs me. Here's a breakdown of the area in question. Dr. Frank Matthews (Brock Peters): They want what you want. To provide decent medical care. To help people. The nest line (or two from the length of the dropout) is not there due to the sound dropout. Nurse Angela Davenport: (First she says 'Yes', but the sound is muted but you can read her lips.) But I didn't do it to hurt Dr. Taylor. Has anyone else had this problem with this episode? If not, could you tell me what the missing line is? Follow up: I just watched the episode on Hulu and the same drop out happens in the exact same spot. So, I'm guessing it is either a fault with the master tape or the line or lines are bleeped intentionally.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Bad news is that it's a problem with all the sets. Good news? It's not a censorship choice. The missing line is, "Did you give Soriani the second injection of Heparin?" Not much of a racially explosive comment. Oddly, the line is intact on the Australian release from last year, and on a home recording I have from a syndicated broadcast. I assume Shout got the same source material as Madman in Australia, so maybe it was an authoring problem.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder if Shout is going to get the problem fixed? Funny how it happens on the Hulu version of the episode as well.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Region 2 UK release of Quincy, M.E.: Complete Series Three has a release date of Monday 4th March (source: Amazon UK). There isn't any front cover artwork up yet on Amazon UK, but there is 3D front cover artwork up on Acorn Media UK's website listing page for the set, along with some extras information. Subtitles are mentioned (along with a picture gallery), but I'll email Acorn Media to double check about the subtitles.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Region 2 UK release of Quincy, M.E.: Complete Series Three has a UK release date of Monday 4th March (source: Amazon UK). There's currently no front cover artwork on Amazon UK's listing page for this set, but there is 3D front cover artwork up on Acorn Media UK's website listing page for the set, along with extras information (subtitles are included). The set is now available to buy on Acorn Media UK's website. EDIT: Emailed Acorn Mediaa UK earlier this week, regarding confirmation of whether subtitles are included in their DVD release of Quincy, M.E.: Complete Series Three, and they replied back, confirming that the set will include subtitles.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
The Shout Factory releases continue: the North American region is getting season 5 - coming march 19 http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Quincy-Season-5/18067

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I will probably pick this show up along with Kojak when it is completed. I like Jack Klugman as the medical examiner. I just wish we would see more barnaby jones on dvd!!!

LCD22

Screenwriter
HenryDuBrow said:
I know Chris and it has no intro credits either, shouldn't they be there, can anyone confirm that?
They are there, at least on mine.

I've been working through Season 6. All is quiet on the Season 7 front, though. I'm not in any kind of hurry, but has anyone inquiry into this with Shout?

They need to also address the missing dialogue in "Death by Good Intentions" on the fourth season set.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
younger1968 said:
I will probably pick this show up along with Kojak when it is completed. I like Jack Klugman as the medical examiner. I just wish we would see more barnaby jones on dvd!!!
Netflix appears to have all the way up to S8 of Quincy, M.E. I found that rather odd since all of the seasons aren't out on DVD but maybe it's a sign of things to come. I'm midway through S4 and I haven't saw a bad print yet. So far, they're still using the old Rampart set from Emergency! when a hospital scene is required. It doesn't matter where Quincy has went, it's still the Rampart set. He was in Arizona on a S2 episode and it was the Rampart set. Back in California a few episodes later, you guessed it, the Rampart set! :lol: Oh, Bob Crane guested as a doctor on a S2 episode.

It also appears, though I'm a bit off topic, that new HD transfers have been struck for Emergency! When we watched it last month, we were sampling across seasons and they all looked in great shape. At one point a couple of seasons looked pretty rough even on Netflix.

All in all, the Universal shows look quite good on Netflix. I would put Quincy, M.E. on par with the job CBS/Paramount did on The Beverly Hillbillies. The opening theme has some scratchy/rough spots visually but the shows themselves are superbly remastered so far.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
They actually all used to be on Netflix years ago, before Shout restarted the DVDs. They disappeared when Netflix's deal with Universal lapsed, but I'm glad they're back.In terms of the DVDs, I emailed Shout several times and got no answer. I emailed the guys at TVShowsonDVD and they told me that they had no news on it, but had heard unofficially that the series had not sold well for Shout.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I hate to tell you this but we're up to season 5 of "Quincy" down here in Australia --
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/drama-romance/quincy-m-e-the-complete-fifth-season/661457

(but never got past season 3 of "The Rockford Files"....lousy Universal.....still, we did get both the "McHale's Navy" movies on region free bluray down here, for which I'll be eternally thankful. Ernest Borgnine is a saint down here and possibly Jack Klugman is up there in the popularity stakes too -- he loved the horse raciing and the Melbourne Cup!)

Get a region free dvd player and a tv/flatscreen that can handle PAL and you're in business -- a bit on the expensive side, but the US/Australian exchange rate should take up any slack.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
FanCollector said:
They actually all used to be on Netflix years ago, before Shout restarted the DVDs. They disappeared when Netflix's deal with Universal lapsed, but I'm glad they're back.In terms of the DVDs, I emailed Shout several times and got no answer. I emailed the guys at TVShowsonDVD and they told me that they had no news on it, but had heard unofficially that the series had not sold well for Shout.
That's a shame. Granted, the later episodes may not be as good but so far I'm amazed with how well the series has held up.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Hi, Brian--we're up to season 6 in the US, thanks to Shout Factory. But glad to see Mr. Klugman maintains his international popularity. I didn't know that Ernest Borgnine had such a following there in Australia.Ron, I think there are some excellent episodes in season 7, although the batting average isn't quite as spectacular as in the previous couple of seasons. Season 8 is the first time I think the series really weakens, although even there they managed a few really good ones.

LCD22

Screenwriter
FanCollector said:
In terms of the DVDs, I emailed Shout several times and got no answer. I emailed the guys at TVShowsonDVD and they told me that they had no news on it, but had heard unofficially that the series had not sold well for Shout.
I wonder if moving it to Shout! Select is an option?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Does the Shout Select program still exist? They still sell the titles from the program, but do they ever produce new ones anymore? If they do, then it would be a great solution.

LCD22

Screenwriter
FanCollector said:
Does the Shout Select program still exist? They still sell the titles from the program, but do they ever produce new ones anymore? If they do, then it would be a great solution.
Gord said it is.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Very frustrating this is (and I don't mean it in an angry way), regarding Quincy, M.E. on DVD in the UK, US and Austrailia. Have up to the third season on Region 2. The third season was released by Acorn Media's UK branch around twelve months ago and nothing yet about the fourth season. Shout have released up to the sixth season, but nothing yet about when (or if) the last two seasons will get released by Shout.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
WaveCrest said:
Very frustrating this is (and I don't mean it in an angry way), regarding Quincy, M.E. on DVD in the UK, US and Austrailia. Have up to the third season on Region 2. The third season was released by Acorn Media's UK branch around twelve months ago and nothing yet about the fourth season. Shout have released up to the sixth season, but nothing yet about when (or if) the last two seasons will get released by Shout.
All of the seasons are available for streaming on Netflix. I'm on the tail-end of S7 right now and the transfers are absolutelygorgeous!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks