What's new

Quicktime Movie Trailers problem (1 Viewer)

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
In recent weeks I've been unable to save Quicktime movie trailers downloaded from the apple site. In the past, after downloading a trailer I would go to my Temp. Internet Files folder, find the file there and save it to my trailers folder.
Now I am unable to locate the trailer after downloading. It plays on the Apple screen plug-in within the internet browser but its gone once I close the screen. There is a file there in the Temp Internet folder but its not the quictime Mov. file as before.
Am I doing something wrong or do I am forced to buy Quicktime Pro to solve this problem?
If I've downloaded it and it plays within the browser surely the file has to be SOMEWHERE on my computer?
Appreciate your help...

Mike_Carroll

Agent
Paul,
I have posted instructions on how to download movie clips on my site, as in a QuickTime 3D animation clip I have for download. Follow the instructions and save the clip to your HDD.
Link Removed
Best regards,
Mike Carroll Jr.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
Mike, thanks for the help. That works on the link you gave me but it doesn't work when I try that with the Quicktime movie trailers on the apple site. It seems they want to prevent you saving the file on your hard drive (for copyright reasons). The Quicktime player must have it's own seperate cashe which cant be accessed as after downloading, the file is definitely not in the temp internet folder.
Someone suggested clearing my Temp folder, then playing the trailer, afterwards the file should be there in the folder. But it didn't work!
But I'm convinced there must be some way of locating the file?

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Once you close the window, the file is automatically deleted.
To save the file for future viewing, keep the window open, then go to your temp files and copy the file to another directory...
There are a few other ways, but this is probably the easiest. The right click Save As doesn't work with the Apple trailers because of the way Apple embeds them into the page.
Peter
P.S. When copying the file, make sure you copy the big .mov file (a couple mb).

Brandon

Agent
What if you can't find it in your temp files? I've tried it with both Netscape and IE, and can't find a trace of the file anywhere.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Actually, there seems to be different versions of these Quicktime files, some that cannot be saved to your harddrive and others that you can just save normally.
------------------
/Kimmo

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
This is what I do to download my quicktime files. Works always. First thing is to view the source of the window the Quicktime file is embedded in. You will usually find a link like e.g. Link Removed. in the source code (simply search for *.mov and copy the whole link). Now you can use a download manager or your browser to download the file to your PC. Usually this is not the movie but only a referrer (only a few KB big).
Now comes step 2. You have to open the referrer file in a text editor (e.g. you can use notepad or wordpad and pull the file in via drag&drop). You will see some lines of gibberish but also somewhere the filename of the full movie. You now simply have to change the filename of the long link you downloaded first into the one you found in the referrer file. E.g. oceans_11_480.mov into oceans_11_m480.mov for the Link Removed.
I hope this helps. It might sound more difficult than it is, it takes less than 30 seconds once you know how to do it.
------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

Brandon

Agent
Joseph
I would rather you added something constructive to the conversation than chide me for not purchasing a $30 program.

Brandon

Agent
I have used the Quicktime website once in the last 2 years. My computer seems to be too old to properly use Quicktime, whether it is QT 4, Qt 5, or any other versions. Your previous comment was in no way constructive to me. Instead it was an attempt to shame me into buying a program I cannot even use.

Brandon

Agent
If you would choose to re-read my full statement, then you would see that I said it could not PROPERLY play the file. I cannot get QT files to play right, the audio is full of pops, and the video plays at around 2 frames per sec. Thus the reason I've only used QT once in the last two years.
Now I find it ridiculous that you are wasting time to prove I'm cheapskate, or at least someone who would rather sneak around the system to get something for free. Why not ask why I want this file and point out that it will only be possible if I upgrade (That's what I'm discovering from other, more constructive posts). Instead you've assumed I'm trying to steal something, and that really angers me. If you are still convinced I'm a thief, or than just lazy, then feel free to point out my ignorance in an email.
Let's move this thread back to its original intent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks