What's new

Quick X-Files Guide Please (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just got a hold of The X-Files: Abduction set.

Maybe I missed this but am I the only one who is surprised by the inclusion of 'Red Museum' and the exclusion of 'Sleepless' on the set? I understand how Red Museum fits into the mythology (The Crew-Cut Man and Purity) but it seems like Sleepless (with the first appearance of Krycek and the first onscreen appearance of Mr. X and other elements) would better fit.

Either way, I'm just happy to get to hear some new commentaries on some of these episodes:)

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Travis, oh yeah i see what you mean by a stand alone episode i would have enjoyed it more.

As i get towards the end with only season 8/9 left i will think about listenng to the commentaries.

Anyone know of a list of which episodes have commentaries recorded so i dont have to go through each episodes?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The sets didn't have any commentaries until Season Three.

Season Three
Apocrypha
Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'

Season Four
Memento Mori
Small Potatoes

Season Five
The Post-Modern Prometheus
The Pine Bluff Variant

Season Six
Triangle
Milagro

Season Seven
First Person Shooter
all things
Je Souhaite

Season Eight
Alone
Existence

Season Nine
Improbable
Jump The Shark
The Truth

I'm pretty sure that's all of them but I may have missed one somewhere:)

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Are the commentaries any better in these new sets? Because Chris Carter is sooo dry on the season sets, not to mention the movie, Millennium and Harsh Realm, that I could never finish any of his.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, it all depends on your POV but some of the commentaries are good and some are less interesting than others. The ones with multiple people tend much better though.

Chris Carter is only on The Post-Modern Prometheus, Triangle, First Person Shooter, and Improbable (and Apocrypha but he's watching the episode with director Kim Manners). I love the guy's work but he is definitely not built for commentaries since he doesn't seem to be much of a talker. When I listened to the pilot of Harsh Realm, he talks so infrequently that I forgot that I was listening to a commentary and was surprised to suddenly hear a voice talking:)

jez

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere think it might have been on this thread about when to best watch the Lone Gunmen series was it in between 7-8 or 8-9?

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Oh dear i watched 'fight club' last night. It really is pretty bad, nothing really happens and its crap.

Thats all i have to say :angry:

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Right guys have finished season 7 now onto season 8

Can i have your guys usual preview good/bad episodes etc.

Dont know much about it and cannot really remember watching!

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
My advice for Season 8 is give up everything you know about the X Files.

If you give in to the fact that it's now Robert patrick's show you'll find some really interesting episodes.

If you wait around for Mulder to return and actually explain something about aliens seeing as they abducted him for six months!
you will hate it.

I was so angry by the end of this season I walked out on Season 9.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved Season Eight! They got back to scary episodes and good mythology episodes (in my opinion). The mythology episodes have a point that you care about (locating Mulder) which, for the most part, is what the myth episodes were missing in Season Seven. Robert Patrick was a great addition to the show. If you can live without seeing Mulder (which some people couldn't do), you'll enjoy the episodes.

My favorite episodes are:

Within
Without
Patience
Roadrunners
Per Manum
This Is Not Happening
DeadAlive
Three Words
Empedocles
Vienen
Essence
Existence

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Can anyone tell me why there is one episode per season highlighted in red in the booklets? I searched for a notation but couldn't find one.

DavidBC

Second Unit
Season 8 was strange but full of some great stuff. And if you love all things Scully and Gillian Anderson as much as I do, there's even more appeal. I think she really stepped up as the new lead and gave some of her best performances this season. I wish she would make some more movies. I miss her terribly :frowning:

The ones I like a lot:

Within/Without
Roadrunners
Via Negativa
Badlaa
Per Manum (it messes with the timeline, it fudges the mythology, it's just kind of silly, but its shipper paradise! And also, it's fun for Canadians to see "Anne of Green Gables" give birth to an alien baby:) )
This Is Not Happening (Cruelest. Cliffhanger. Ever!)
DeadAlive
Alone (I just love that last scene!)
Essence/Existence

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I loved Season 8 mainly because I preferred Gillian Anderson over Duchovny, and the show was far more focused on her, during Season 8, especially over the loss she is feeling for Mulder. Liked the music as well (the female solo voice which seems to becoming a staple of films nowadays but at the time it was out I really liked it).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks