What's new

Quick X-Files Guide Please (2 Viewers)

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
For those who haven't picked up the new releases yet, or just haven't noticed. Season 4 is much like the previous seasons. Season 5 is only 5 discs. Since there were only 20 episodes, and they fit nicely on 5 discs, they completely dropped the sixth disc (with the extras).

But, season 6 is completely intact with all the original bonus features. Disc 6 has the final two episodes of the season (22 episodes total) and all the bonus features from the original release.

Based on this, I predict (i.e. total guess) that the next wave will look like this:

Season 7: Has 22 episodes like season 6, so I'd expect to find all the season 7 bonus features like season 6.

Season 8: Has 21 episodes. They could shove episode 21 onto disc 5 and make it a 5 disc set, but I think they'll stick with 6 discs and include the original bonus material here as well.

Season 9: Has 20 episodes. So I'm guessing it will be another 5 disc release like season 5.

Like I said, this is a total guess on my part. But the scenario above would fit with what we've seen with the first six seasons.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I picked up seasons 7-9 and guessed right that they're 6 discs, 6 discs and 5 discs. But they're supposed to be for Father's Day, so I can't open them.

Can anyone check the last discs for seasons 7 & 8 to see if they do indeed having the bonus features like I suspected in the previous post? I know season 6 was complete, so I'm curious to see what they did with 7 & 8.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
Season 9 (R2 - the new release) was with 2 extras discs.. I can post pics if you want..

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
Season 9 (R2 - the new release) was with 2 extras discs.. I can post pics if you want..

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Interesting....I thought they were coming out towards the end of this month, like they did with earlier X-Files re-releases in January and March of this year.

Mark, if you want to know if the last 3 seasons have bonus features before you open them, just read the back of each box! :)

I hope they were able to get Annabeth Gish to do a commentary or two. She did the commentary for a movie (a romantic comedy) that she did, so unless she was working at the time, it shouldn't have been too hard to hire her for this.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

Well, season 6 did list all the bonus features on the back. Seasons 7 & 8 don't. But then why would they have made 6 complete and changed the way they did 7 & 8? Guess I'll just have to wait a week to satisify my curiousity. :laugh:

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought seasons 7-9 cheap versions (owned 1-6 of the original style) off of Amazon; I suppose I should have looked into this before, but please tell me that there are no reported problems with these three sets! At least, as of yet.

(I understand that there was a serious problem with an episode in the 6th season cheap set.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to dissapoint you, the only commentary from any of the leads is from Gillian Anderson on the S7 episode 'all things'. Although Robert Patrick did a commentary for his first episode (Within) on the Mythology releases.

EDIT: Ethan, the problem on the S6 set (the transfer on the episode Triangle) is the same on both versions of it.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
OK, well at least Gillian Anderson did a commentary on the re-release sets. Did she or Duchovny do any on the original release sets of the first 6 years?

By the way, my copy of "Triangle" looks just fine, so I don't understand what the complaint is.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nope. While I'm sure Duchovny was 'sick' of The X-Files (and I can understand that to some degree), I really wish he had broken down and recorded one at least for the episodes that he directed. Maybe on high def. :)

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, that is odd, what exactly was the problem with it? I watched all seasons 1-6 on my original boxed sets and don't remember a problem with any particular episode...

or maybe I have just forgotten, all of this TV on DVD has ruined my long-term memory! :O

And, if I were going to have interviews by any of the cast members, Gillian Anderson would certainly be the one I'd want. :P

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
More or less, Triangle looks like it's from a second generation VHS dupe. It's most noticable if you watch the opening credits of an episode and then take a look at Triangle's opening credits.

There's a thread about it here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...hlight=X-Files

and Posts 126 to 137 (on page 5 of that thread) talk about the re-release of S6 where some people say it's fine and some say it's still screwed up. I don't know for sure but my money is on that it's still screwed up and some people notice it and some don't.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Triangle's opening credits look as sharp to me as any other X-Files episode from the first 7 years.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not trying to doubt you, Jeff. It's just that people seemed to miss it when the first set came out and I've seen people saying that the re-releases one is also messed up. Maybe for the re-releases, Fox burned off the 'bad' discs and then switched over to the good ones and that's why both are being seen. Afterall, Fox did correct the taglines from the credits on the Mythology sets so maybe it's the same situation.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Someone with the new discs checked the VOB files and they had the same dates as the original discs.

There's no evidence whatsoever to suggest that Fox has corrected "Triangle" AND there were people that swore up and down that their disc was "fine" when it was first released, too.

So you can't see the horrendous video quality, good for you, but it's very apparant to a lot of people.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the new version of Season 6 and Triangle looks horrid compared to the other episodes in this season. It's very obvious in my set.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, guess I was lucky with my copy of "Triangle" because that episode looked fine from start to finish....except that underwater photography with Mulder at the beginning, but then it never was easy to see people submerged. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks