What's new

QUICK/VIEW: The International (BRD) (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I like Tom Tykwer.

This movie was GOOD!

Good picture.
Good sound.
Great subtle score. Where is it iTunes???

Recommended!

Now to continue with True Blood...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd put it more like this: This movie is good, with until it gets to the Guggenheim museum, at which point it becomes incredible. Then the shootout finishes and it's merely good again. But, man, does it have one heck of a showcase/centerpiece action scene!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
As I previously commented, one of the real pleasures of this film was its cinematography. The presentation of the various buildings as a dominant visual theme (towering over the individuals in the frame) throughout the film served to reinforce the film's central message of the power of the conglomerate / corporation over the individual.

- Walter.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Grin,

I forgot to mention the architecture.

BEST shot was when Clive Owen was walking up the IBBC steps.
AMAZING!

And the pull back shot of the follow the car pan along the cliff coast tunnel road, and then STOP.

Best movie by Tykwer!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Those who prefer it.
$9.99, immediate access.

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

But a lot worse quality!

The CD is terrific - as are all CDs when compared to iTunes!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Not to me (and a few others).

Choice is good.

I pay $9.99 for iTunes.
I pay $39.99 to import the CD.

What would you do?

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

I'd go for the best possible recording - every time! And that would be the CD!

It puzzles me that while the world is slowly moving into better PQ/AQ for their movies, they're downgrading to lower-rez audio on their music. Bizarre really.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Old argument.

If price was the same, I'd go for the CD.
iTunes suits a lot of people.

A lot of albums are now download only as well.

I'm sure a lot of people aren't paying $40 for BRDs, vs $10 DVDs.

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

Indeed they are. And I, for one, am not going to encourage that by using the download service.

Unfortunately it appears Disney has now abandoned CD altogether so they won't be getting any more of my $.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But obviously people ARE paying a lot more to get Blu-rays of movies they could get on DVD for much cheaper.

If I want something, I'd like to have it in the best quality. Would I pay $40 for a good-sounding CD instead of paying $10 for a crummy-sounding MP3? Yup...

TarangSwaroop

Auditioning
Real Name
TarangSwaroop
Now to continue with True Blood...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Wow, you guys were right. Just got done watching this one and that Guggenheim sequence was fantastic. I read somewhere that it seemed Hitchcockian and I must agree. Okay movie overall however.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I found this film to be engrossing start to finish. It's a throwback to the great paranoia films of the 1970's. What struck me was that, considering the amount of action in the film, there is minimal underscoring. These days, most studios/directors/composers force-feed audiences deafening, telegraphic music scores that seem to play beneath about 90% of a film's running time (especially in horror or action thrillers), which is a pity - most filmmakers seem to have forgotten that silence, quiet, or ambient sound without music can often be way-y-y more effective in creating suspense and atmosphere (remember Harry Dean Stanton's almost unbearably scary search for Jones the cat in ALIEN?). It's like a great painter's use of negative space to emphasize the detail on the rest of the canvass. The Guggenheim sequence, which is probably the best shoot-out I've seen since THE WILD BUNCH, has very little underscore, and what there is is almost subliminal. The natural sounds are allowed to build the tension without a lot of phony emotional pushes from the composer. Cudos to the people who put this very fine thriller together, and thank you for a subtle and intelligent soundtrack!

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I really wanted to love it, because I really loved Run, Lola, Run. But after an engrossing first half, it just gets too stupid for me (bad, bad script - but excellent direction all the way through). Naomi Watts just disappears from the film, the ending is perfunctory, and ultimately I cared about no one in the film, which, for me, is what undoes a picture like this and why it's NOT like the great paranoia films of the 1970s.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I rented the Blu ray and I loved how great the transfer was, there was grain and it looked great and all the location shots were nice to see. I can't say the stoyline was brilliant or anything but I was never bored by the film and I couldn't take my eyes of it.

Also with the soundtrack for those who were discussing it etc

you can also pick up the CD version from ScreenArchives.com THE INTERNATIONAL -- SCREEN ARCHIVES ENTERTAINMENT amazon.com has it listed for 14.99 also.

for those who collect CD scores etc you know who they are.

Most people from the FilmScoreMonthly.com site and message boards would prob hang those who purchase iTunes score files instead of CD copies haha. We are a really tough crowd though. We believe in owning a booket etc. then again we are hard core score collector's I guess for the causal buyer it is ok.
FILM SCORE MONTHLY

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I enjoyed the film; great looking/sounding Blu-ray. I agree re: Naomi Watts disappearing, but this was clearly Clive's picture. I really dug it.

But my vote for best Tykwer film is The Princess and the Warrior. Love that one.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I liked it well enough but for me it was ultimately a fairly forgetful film. The quality of the BD is outstanding however and this is one of those discs in which I kept getting pulled out of the movie as I marveled at the image quality. So good it's distracting!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks