What's new

Quick Qusetion (1 Viewer)

Mark gas

Second Unit
I want to hook up 4 speakers to my Yamaha R-xv 420 receiver, which setup would give nme more power?
Option 1: Running all 4 speakers from the 2 main A channels @ 4 ohms.
Option 2: Running 1 pair of speakers from the A main channels and a second set from the B Channels @ 8 ohms.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I am confused....

Unless you meant to say you want 4 front speakers. Which if so, please explain why? If you want this for a different stereo zone, I'd go with B so you can switch them on when you need them, and off when not in use. On how it works, it would be the same in all likelyhood. 2 speakers on each front channel is going to represent the same load either way.

In the normal use of a surround AVR of course I'd hook them up as 5.1 without a center channel to achieve excellent surround sound.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Neither. The receiver only has a certian amout of power each way. Using the 'B' terminals will split the power in half inside the receiver (if it will let you at all. Some receiver will not allow A and B to be on at the same time.

In either case you will be putting a lot of strain on your receiver and it is not a good idea.

Let us know what you want to accomplish and we might suggest a better solution.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The reciever is rated to 2 ohms Brian..... I'd say the strain isn't a big deal. These are really quite nice AVR's for the money. They look really awesome in particular, I love that styling. But if your saying there won't be any difference between a parallel connection on A and having A+B selected using A and B terminals then we agree.

Electrically I'd bank it is the same.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
you'd think that if manufacturers put a 'B' speaker option they'd stick an amplifier in there to drive it

Mark gas

Second Unit
Thanx for the info. I want to run 4 fronts for a party. I think I will just run 2 pairs of speakers from the A terminals.

MikeNg

Second Unit
If the AVR is set up to allow 'A+B' configurations, I'd do that instead of 'A' wired in series.

I don't think either will net your more. There's no free lunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks