What's new

Quick question: What would B speakers be used for? (1 Viewer)

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys I just noticed today that my receiver (Panasonic SA-XR50) has two terminals in the back for "B Speakers" and you can choose to turn them on or not in the front. What would these be used for?

Thanks
Eric

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Connecting a second pair of speakers,say for a different room, or outside. It's less versatile than a second zone, and often running both A and B speakers simultaneously taxes the amp.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think what people have used them the most is for using 4 speakers to play music around the house, even if not actually completley separate rooms. Such as, many houses have open, connected living room/kitchen/dining room. So, when you watch a movie you just use the "A" speakers with surround, then to play music throughout that part of the house, you turn on the second speakers, which might be in the kitchen, and shut off the surround.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I used mine to run four speakers in the same room. Two in front and two in back for four channel stereo.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i use mine for "B" sounds like BuBBles, Beats, Breaks and Bass.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Before my B channel broke, I used it for four channel stereo since I always listen to music with it.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Not all of us have the same tastes, or watch movies with our receivers. I haven't watched one movie with my current receiver yet, all I use it for is music, so 4-channel stereo works for me.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Bobby,

By definition, stereo cannot be four channel.

If you just like listening to loud music 2 sets of stereo speakers may be Ok, but it really does distort the intent of the recording.

J

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
How about 2 X 2 channel stereo? Or 2.2 channel? In any event, I used A and B in the same room back in the late 70's thru the 80's to fill the room with sound without having to turn the volume up too high (manager lived upstairs). And with the equipment I had, Fisher receiver and speakers and (I think) Soundesign speakers in the rear, I had virtually no chance of maintaining "the intent of the recording" anyway so what the hey. Besides, all of these things from DD/DTS to ProLogic to the various surround modes, even 2 channel stereo, are all fabrications to one degree or another so I prefer to do things that satisfy the intent of the listener. Usually it's DTS:Neo6 or the original stereo mix, but sometimes it's Onkyo's "Orchestra" surround mode and sometimes while working around the house it's 5 channel stereo (their term, not mine :) . Which ever sounds best to me at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks