What's new

Quick PS3 connectivity question? (1 Viewer)

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

Sincerest apologies if this has come up ad-nauseum, but I don't have the strength for searching this morning. lol

I'd like to take the plunge for a current 40 gig PS3 in a couple of weeks. What will I need to buy to hook this thing up via HDMI for picture to my tv and digital optical to my receiver for 5.1/7.1 (don't care about HD audio yet...receiver can't do it...and no HDMI switching at my receiver, either)?

I know they come pretty stripped down, but just wondering if I have to get a 'pack' to be able to hook up, or if I can just use off the shelf HDMI and optical cords?

Looking forward to upconverting my SD DVDs, starting a BD collection, and playing some GT and The Show. Currently using a JVC 52" Dila display, but will be going to a Samsung LN52A630 or 650 within the next three months.

Thank you kindly in advance! -Dan

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Off the shelf HDMI and optical will work fine. That's what I used when I first got my PS3 and had no receiver that could handle HDMI. Coincidentally, I also had a JVC D-ILA 52" TV then as well. All of that has since been upgraded, but you'll be very impressed with the picture.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
As Matt said, regular HDMI and optical audio cables will work fine; they do so in my system. Set your Display for HDMI Automatic and your Sound for Optical with Dolby and DTS definitely chosen (your choice whether to try out the additional LPCM settings).

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I was a bit confused when I first set up my PS3. There is a note about setting video on HDMI and audio on optical in the instructions, but it wasn't obvious....one navigates the XMB (cross media bar) to the settings and there were a couple of choices, but I didn't see what I was looking for. The thing that got me was that they didn't mention that you have to click or select the settings menu item - in other words, the list of sub-menus does not show up automatically as it does on a PC. You must push a button to show the sub menu.

After that it was easy!

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you kindly, Chuck. I appreciate the 'insider's' tip! I think I've read before that the PS3 is not always the most intuitive beast to set up.

All tips appreciated to minimize any hair-pulling at setup :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks