What's new

Quick Grayscale Question (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
When I first got my Pioneer SD-582-HD I tweaked it in the service mode because I had grayscale problems, a slight purple hue on low IRE blacks and grays. For the past 2+ years it's been pretty good and I almost never noticed this. I still don't notice it on DVD's, (except on The Good Girl the blacks had a strong bluish hue, but I understand this was a problem with that particular DVD). But recently, on a couple of cable channels I have noticed the old purplish hue again to a slight extent, like TNT I watched Crossfire Trail recently and there was a bit of this. Can the source have an effect on the grayscale? Also, I forget, when adjusting Rcut, do I want to decrease the value (more negative) to reduce this effect or increase the value, (less negative). I was thinking it may be time to get out Avia and go into grayscale again and do a little tweaking.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I recommend that you go to the keohi site or the ISF site to look at what a chromaticity chart looks like. This is the easiest way for you to eyeball your grayscale. Figure out where you are ... and where you want to be ... easy as 123.

Cable and satellite channels are all over the map ...

Regards

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Michael, thanks for the quick reply. When I did this the first time I used Avia and I think it was the pluge screen, serval bars of varying brightness. I got it pretty good, as I said, just reently noticed these discrepancies, and from what you said, most of that could be the cable channels themselves. But since it's been over 2 years since I set these parameters, I thought it might be good to go in and check them again. I just couldn't remember how Rcut worked. Did decreasing it remove red at low IRE's or did increasing the Rcut value make it 'cut' more, thus decreasing the red at low IRE's. I will look at the Keohi site, that is where I got the info to intially eyeball my greyscale.

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
MicheaTLV,

Is there a place where you can get a printed copy of the chart?

I mean, how do I know that my printer is accurate, or that the color of my paper will effect it.

(there is a huge difference between HP BRIGHT WHite paper, Photo paper, and everyday use copy paper, HP BRIGHT WHITE being the "bluest" )

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Unfortunately I don't know. The ISF site have the digtal drawings and that is all. Hopefully it is enough to give people the proper push in the right direction.

The ones I have are from Sencore ... which were passed out at the Seminars.

Regards

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
What is that?

Where do I get it?

I can change my greyscale on my computer... my monitor "Sony G series 21" .22 dot pitch" allows me to do this in 100 value incriments.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Does contrast affect grayscale in any way. I have all my other settings, Drv & Cut for the best picture eyeballing it. When I decrease contrast further it seems to affect the purple hue problem slightly, when watching movies. Am I just imagining this?

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Contrast affects grayscale ... as does brightness.

Contrast is kinda like the driver control but for all three colours at the same time.

Brightness is like the cut control for all three colours.

Regards

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
So Michael, when I recalibrate, soon, I should get my contrast and brightness as best as possible, using my AVIA first, then tweak my DRV and CUT values to get the truest grays, whites and blacks on the pluge, right?

Oh, and I assume before any of that get my convergence as tight as I can.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The process usually does the contrast and brightness first. Get them set to reference levels. (AKA contrast to 20 ft-l light output on a 100 ire windowbox)

Now do grayscale ... and when done ... check brightness and contrast levels again ... touch up ... and do grayscale again ...

back and forth.

Convergence ... slightly loose and tight actually has little impact on the grayscale calibration process.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks