What's new

Questions: Laser rot??? (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I have a few DVDs that have these weird spots on the bottom of them. The spots are not on the outer parts of the bottom, but they are always like right next to the hole in the middle of the disc. Some discs that have had these spots have not worked properly, but some others that have had them work fine. My question is, what are these spots, and do they mean anything? Are they laser rot? Also, the discs that have the spots, yet work right: will they stop working properly in the future because of the spots, or do I have nothing to worry about? I have always wondered about this, and if any of you could shed some light on it I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I've seen some rotted discs that had visible spots, but generally not. If you have multicolored speckles moving horizontally L to R you have rot. If I had a disc that had visible spotting under the plastic, and the material wasn't on DVD, and I valued the disc, I'd make a backup copy ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks