What's new

Questions from a guy who blew through his budget on new home (1 Viewer)

Wingfan13

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
When I say a guy who blew through his budget I mean my wife. We are building a new home. It is almost done and I originally planned on hiring a company to setup the home theater. Now that we (she) blew way past our budget I am thinking about doing it myself. I know close to nothing about home theater. I do know that I care much more about picture quality than sound. I dont see myself ever watching movies with the house shaking from the volume being up so loud. I guess I care about the quality of the sound but it will never be turned up very loud (if that helps at all).

I dont even know where to begin. The room is 19' 4" from front to back. It is 15' wide. The builder already wired the room for 7.1 and all the plugs and holes are in the ceiling for speakers and a projector. The one thing I have to deal with is blacking out the window where the screen will go. I found this site http://www.snaptint.com/product.php?productid=16161 to apply film to the window to do that. It is a window on the front of the house so I couldn't delete it without it looking strange. Anyone else ever have to setup a screen in front of a window ?

So knowing that I care more about the picture and less about sound I am looking for some recommendations for equipment. How big of a screen do I need with that size room ? What projector and equipment do I need ? I also dont always want to be watching TV in the dark. I have heard there are some screens that are better with more light. The light would only be coming from the can lights in the room with the windows blacked out.

Sorry for all the questions and I really appreciate the help. Like I said I am new to all of this and would appreciate some guidance.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
What sort of a budget to you have left for the project? Do you care about the size of the speakers (do they have to be small or can they be larger)? Are you looking to put tactile transducers in?

Wingfan13

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks