Questions about tomorrow's Warner chat protocol!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Darren Gross, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I'm a bit confused by the instructions.

Okay, so once I've logged on to the Applet with my real name, how do I signal or know when I'm allowed to type in my question?

I don't want to accidentally talk out of turn or 'whisper' to anyone and get thrown out of the chat, so what's the scoop?

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

During the chat, Ron will give everyone an opportunity to "yo" in to get a place in the question queue. He will take the top ten (?) names as they appear on his screen, and those folks will get a chance to ask a question.

You will not be able to post a question until you are given the ability to do so by the moderators.

Do not "whisper" to the mods or the guest, or you will be turfed.

There is usually a second IRC channel that people can chat about the chat in.

3. Darren Gross

Thanks for the info Jeff.

How exactly does one 'yo' in?

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    On Ron's signal you type "yo" and hit "enter" or "send"

The whisper function is a separate feature that let's you send a message directly to another individual in the chat based on their ID, without anyone else seeing the message. In the past folks have abused the system by "whispering" questions to the guest and/or the moderators as a way of by-passing the question queue. Also note that order in which the names show up on Ron's display can be different from what each of us sees - so someone who "yo'd" in "after" you (on your list) may end up asking a question when you didn't. That doesn't mean Ron is playing favorites, it just means that the names showed up in a different order on his screen.

Why do I get the feeling there are going to be a lot of "Visa Checkcard" jokes this year? [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yo
    Yao
    Yo---gi

I'm sure Ron will ignore anything that's not a real "Yo". [​IMG]

The biggest protocol to remember is courtesy to our guests (and to our staff, who go through a lot to put these together). Don't dis them or what the guys from the studio say: it only discourages chats and/or straight answers. If you don't like what they have to say, it's probably okay to say so afterward in simple, general terms. But be polite about it (because you can be sure they're reading it) and BE SURE TO FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE ASPECT OF THE CHAT. I mean, for every "too bad" there's got to be 3 or more "oh, cool!" points in there, right?

Let's make Ron and Packy proud of us!

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Lead Actor

The other thing to remember, is have a text editor open, and type your question ahead of time-- and popy/paste it onto the line to send it when it is your turn. That way the guest doesn't have to wait 0 seconds for you to type the question- and keeps things moving.

But like the others said:

The room will be locked, in moderated mode, so no one will be able to talk except the moderator and the guest. Ron will announce it is time to "YO", and the room will be unmoderated.

You type YO and hit enter. It will post to the room, and Ron will take the first few people (on his end, you will probably see a different order due to the fact that the server lags a little).

When it's your turn, the moderator will unlock you and allow you to talk. You post your question, they answer, and then you are once again locked so you can't talk.

After 5- people ask questions, Ron opens the floor to YO's again, and it starts over.

-Vince

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Is this protocal available in a FAQ? If not it should be.

8. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I really wish late-comers wouldn't be allowed to ask questions. I cringe whenever I read the transcripts for these chats and the same question is asked over and over again, often with the disclaimer "Sorry if this has been asked already, but..."

It takes time away from other questione that could be asked and I would imagine it is quite frustrating for the studio rep who has to keep repeating himself.

It just seems like it is common sense if you haven't been there to know if the question was asked or not you shouldn't be posing the question.

9. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

Since we're on the topic of the Warner Chat for tonight can someone please chime in and ask Warner about their support of DTS?

Thanks!

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Troy: here's a preview- "No" [​IMG]
    Same goes for the Snapper question [​IMG]

When I come in late, I always ask around if my Q has been asked. Others should do the same, any and all feel free to message me tonight to ask so we don't waste questions.

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Other responses to plan on hearing:

"Needs restoration"
    and
    "We have no plans at this time."

[​IMG] Seriously, though, it's great that Warner will take the time to talk to us, especially with the killer lineup of catalog material that they've announced. This should be one of our happier chats, especially with them.

But please, don't bother asking about DTS or snapper cases. You know what the answer is.

12. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

14. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I just want to know when they will be releasing the animated Superman: Last Son of Krypton. I think that it's the last of the "feature-length" VHS movies not on DVD.

If I don't get a chance to ask, I hope someone else will (hint, hint)...

That and the upcoming Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman...I'd love to know when that's supposed to be out...

15. Darren Gross

And of course it'd be nice to find out the status of a restored version of NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS...

It sure would be a good idea to re-record the scenes that are missing dialogue while the actors are still alive...Because once snother actor in that cast dies, chances of a restoration are totally kaput.

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Well, the DTS and Snapper questions were asked anyway, and the answers were "No." and "No." [​IMG]

Warner appeared to be completely unaware of the NODS restoration, Darren, so contact should probably be made with them ASAP.