What's new

Questions about SVS Plus 12.3 Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious about the SVS Plus 12.3 Series Woofer Upgrade. I wasn't monitoring the forums closely enough when this came out and totally missed it. I have a pair of 16-46 CS-Plus subs with a Samson S1000 that I bought in 2002 and use them each with one port plugged. With the BFD I get a pretty flat response with a rise of a few dB below 20Hz. I'm sure I got plenty of headroom and have never even come close to pushing them. I could probably get by with one but I figured why not have two because it's not like you can have to much. :D And I know I'll never be left wanting with this setup.

So what is there to gain from the update? Are they quicker or more responsive? Better/tighter bass? I got no complaints with what I got, but if I could get something better... However if it's primarily an upgrade to increase volume or a flatter response, I don't really need that.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In the words of Nike: Just Do It :D Yes, it is worth it. Then you still have the previous drivers to use in a new project or sell. I am working with a friend who did the update on his and we are using the old Plus driver to build a new sub.

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
I'm that guy...in an untreated room with a corner loaded sub, I had a couple of dip and peaks that were +/- 9, but still extremely good bass response with the 12.2 driver. When I put in the 12.3, I had to recalibrate I seemed to have gained a couple of db. When running tones, I noticed a different FR curve, dips and peaks are now +/- 5 in 2 spots, but the rest is +/- 2 from 18-80hz. So yes, there was an immediate noticable improvement. Just don't expect it to be night and day. The older driver is still very capable. Hopefully, John and I can make it sing again.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
OK, well once I figure out where my bank account is at after paying for my new speakers, I'll do this.

Any recommendations on calibration software? In the past I've used a spreadsheet someone came up with that includes correction values for the RS SPL meter and 21 test tones from 16Hz to 160Hz. I got a CD from a friend with the tones. At one time I saw a PC app that is used to directly feed the receiver with the proper tones and then record them via the microphone input. Is this a better method? And what kind of microphone do I need for that?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that link John, I'll look into it. I got a lot to do over the next few weeks in preparation for my Rockets arrival.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a 12.1 sub? I have some 20-39 cs+ from a while back and im thinking about the sub upgrade as well. But for some reason I thought the subs were a 12.1....am I wrong?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I believe the .3 is merely a version. From the description on their website they said the original plus driver had two distinct versions, then they came out with this driver that they offered as an upgrade to owners of the earlier subs.

Brent_S

Second Unit
12.1, 12.2, and 12.3 represent the major revisions of SVS' 12" Plus driver. The 12.3 being the most recent SVS designed and built unit. Previous iterations were built by TC Sounds for SVS. A search of the forum for something like "SVS upgrade" should turn up information on approximate mfg/ship dates for each generation. Calling/emailing SVS support with your serial number may also get your driver identified.

IMHO, at the current upgrade price of $169 for the 12.3, it's not worth it for the small performance gains shown in various 3rd party tests...maybe 3db at some frequencies compared to the 12.1 and lower distortion at the limits. The original offer of $99 was a no brainer when you could easily sell the old driver to a DIYer for 50% or more of the upgrade cost. As you get closer to the $100 mark for the used driver, DIYers are going to pass...too many viable new-in-box options available near that price.

Obligatory disclaimer: I don't represent SVS in any way, although willing to change that if Tom/Ron are listening.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Just a fan of good engineering/business models and a soon to be owner of a 12.1 driver.

-Brent

Chris Huber

Second Unit
I have been told by SVS techs that the 12.2 is almost right on par with the 12.3. the .3 may offer a slight bit more of headroom, but as far as pairing a PC Plus 12.2 with another PC Plus 12.3, he said there would not be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks