What's new

Questions about piecing a 7.1 System (1 Viewer)

vrturbo

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Alright, so first off I just joined the forum and I'm amazed at all of the information there is on here.
Second, I already know everybody on here is against Bose, including my self, but bear with me.

I am looking to put together a decent system for my old man's house.
Looking to hear your opinions on this.

I have the following:

Surround Speakers: (4) Bose Direct/Reflecting Speaker Cubes
I bought these from a garage sale for DIRT cheap. (Mint condition)

Front Left/Right: (2) Polk Monitor 40 Series

Subwoofer: Polk PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series

I used the Polk in my office, but don't need anymore.

I need to buy the following:

Center Speaker Option: Polk CS10 but open to suggestions
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B0018QROM2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388732373&sr=1-2&keywords=center+channel+speaker

Receiver: Also open to suggestions

I'll be happy to hear your opinions/suggestions/concerns.

Edit: Realized that maybe I should have posted to New Member Forum.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
AVR depends on needs. You'll need a good auto EQ program to attempt to make the Bose modules useful. Aud multi EQ XT. Ypao( start at the RX-A3030 and work Your way down) and ARC(Anthem's room correction.Aud starts off at XT32 less money in Denon.You need multiple crossovers cause those Bose cubes are going to struggle to produce 200hz...and you "can't" put your main/center crossover there if you want to sound good.YPAO has the best chance of sounding good, but I have no idea how far down the line Yamaha allows independent crossovers. Maybe all the ones with "Advanced GUI" Do it.Yes that center.

vrturbo

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the quick response Sam.
schan1269 said:
The Bose cubes are useless without the bass module. The Bose proprietary DSP is in the crossover network.
Yes the PO told me that the cubes plugged into the bass module but that he ended up selling it separate(Go figure :huh: ).

Now I've decided upon getting the Yamaha RX-V673 7.2-Channel Network AVR
It has YPAO R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control)

However I am unsure of it's multiple crossover capabilities.
How would I go about finding out?

As far as the center speaker I've decided against the Polk CS10 Center Speaker.
Going to mount the display to the wall and due to it's sheer width i feel as though it will obstruct the view.

Going to look at purchasing the Polk TL2 or TL3 High Performance Center Channel Speaker
Is there a big difference in performance between the two ($70 price difference)

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TL3-Performance-Channel/dp/B004FTFRCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388903537&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+tl3

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Yamahas do not have the ability to set different speakers to different crossovers.

I run smaller surrounds (but not satellites) with one crossover (usually 80 or 90) and don't have a problem, but that probably won't work well with satellites.

Regardless, I wouldn't recommend a satellite for a center when using bookshelfs for the left/right, the dialog is a major portion of most DVD/BRs and the center channel will be very noticable - it'll sound bad. The CS10 is a standard center design, just place it on a shelf above or below the screen, I'm not following why you think it's be so obstructive.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Type A, I said start at the 3030 and work his way down. Maybe all the RX-A allow multiple crossovers.Maybe all the ones with "Advanced GUI" Do it. Since Yamaha does not include that in OM of ANYTHING...it is hard to believe they all do, when I know for a FACT that none did prior to whenever Yamaha added it to the RX-A line with Advanced GUI. I was probably one of the very first people (outside Yamaha itself) to play with the RX-A3000. We had it on display in our office(remember I sold wholesale) a full 8 months before it was released.I didn't even look in the crossover settings on it to see if it had variable crossovers(factory pre-set is 80). Why?NO OTHER YAMAHA AVR PRIOR TO THESE NEVER, AS IN NEVER, AS IN WASNT A FEATURE ON ANYTHING....AT ALL, EVER NEVER.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Al.Anderson said:
I don't understand the "Ugh" though.

Sorry, frustration that shouldnt be directed at you. You just happen to be the third person on this forum who has made this incorrect blanket statement concerning Yamaha AVRs.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
schan1269 said:
Type A, I said start at the 3030 and work his way down. Maybe all the RX-A allow multiple crossovers.Maybe all the ones with "Advanced GUI" Do it. Since Yamaha does not include that in OM of ANYTHING...it is hard to believe they all do, when I know for a FACT that none did prior to whenever Yamaha added it to the RX-A line with Advanced GUI.I was probably one of the very first people (outside Yamaha itself) to play with the RX-A3000. We had it on display in our office(remember I sold wholesale) a full 8 months before it was released.I didn't even look in the crossover settings on it to see if it had variable crossovers(factory pre-set is 80). Why?NO OTHER YAMAHA AVR PRIOR TO THESE NEVER, AS IN NEVER, AS IN WASNT A FEATURE ON ANYTHING....AT ALL, EVER NEVER.
I read and understood your post so Im not sure why you felt the need to reply to my post, it wasnt directed at you. No worries, I understand previous models didnt offer it (or even some current models) and its not in the manual. Im sure you understand if it didnt keep coming up I wouldnt say a word. ;)

vrturbo

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Al.Anderson said:
The CS10 is a standard center design, just place it on a shelf above or below the screen, I'm not following why you think it's be so obstructive.
It's the way the room is setup, the display is quite high. Having it below will obstruct the view if person is laying down on the couch.Can't put it on top because of crown molding.

My only option would be to put together a complete wall standing shelf and have the display brought out while the speakers are receded.
Time and money etc. wouldn't make it very ideal.
I need a speaker around 5" where as the CS10 is ~10".

As far as the RX-673 AVR, according to a review I found it does have GUI, but does not allow multiple crossover:

"One nit I must pick is that I cannot adjust the crossover frequency of every speaker. Its one frequency fits all. Sub gets everything under it, all "small speakers" do not. I'd like to have a higher crossover for the surround speakers. "
Found at: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/yamaha-receiver-rx-v671-review.274421/

Is my only option the RX-A Line of Yamaha receivers?
Cheapest is $650 and a bit out of budget.

Remember this is for my father who is no where near an audiophile.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
vrturbo said:
Also another question, there are 14 Gauge speaker wires(in the wall) where the subwoofer will be.
Can I use those or do I need to use a Y-splitter cable for a mono connection to the reciever?
Speaker wire connections are used for passive subwoofers (subs without internal amplification).

This subwoofer has its own amplifier, and is therefore an active subwoofer.

You should use a single RCA cable from the Subwoofer pre-out on the receiver to either one of the line level inputs on the back of the sub. It doesn't matter which input you use (R or L) as the two are simply combined internally.

vrturbo

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Ok just got the reciever and saw that the the subwoofer output is RCA.

The reciever however has two inputs, Left + Right.(It is a 7.2 Reciever)

I only have one sub-woofer but should I connect it with two RCA wires or just one?
Will it make a difference?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
vrturbo said:
Ok just got the reciever and saw that the the subwoofer output is RCA. The reciever however has two inputs, Left + Right.(It is a 7.2 Reciever) I only have one sub-woofer but should I connect it with two RCA wires or just one?Will it make a difference?
Just one RCA cable from either output on the receiver to either input on the sub. Even though the receiver is ".2", the subwoofer channel is a mono signal. The mono signal is simply split internally to feed two outputs because, hey, two outputs!

vrturbo

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Jason Charlton said:
Just one RCA cable from either output on the receiver to either input on the sub. Even though the receiver is ".2", the subwoofer channel is a mono signal. The mono signal is simply split internally to feed two outputs because, hey, two outputs!
Great! Thank you for the explanation.

Got all the cabling in place and now just waiting to order a center channel speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks