What's new

Questions about Ascendant Audio (1 Viewer)

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
Well I've been looking into Ascendant Audio and have been thinking about purchasing one of those 18s for my HT.

Now, my current sub is a SLOUCH. IT is a 8inch HTIB peice of crap HTIB.

NOW....

My main concern is deciding which woofer to get. The 18 inch, from what I can suppose, will let me hit 100db at atleast 16hz. However, I fear that it will be awful for music, I mean with a driver that big, it must have some drawbacks.

Now here is what I'm trying to understand.

If I purchase a 18, would it be too slow for music?

If I purchase two 12's, would it be fast enough for music and have the ability to hit 100 db at 16hz?

How big of a box and what type of amp would be required to pay homage to those beasts.

And one more question, for the sanity's sake, what type of commercial woofer would be in the same catergory?

My budget is around 500 dollars, I can push it to 600. But yeah, I would really appreciate a good response. Thanks guys!

BTW, the room is about 15 X 15.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The concept of smaller drivers = fast bass is an uban myth. Fast bass is called treble

18" drivers are no slower than 12" drivers. When a driver of any size is playing a 20Hz note, it's moving back and forth at 20 cycles/second. If not it's playing a different note.

Ascendant is out of drivers, is between production runs and is tooling up for new designs. At this time no one knows what the new product line will be.....

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Yeah, had you grabbed one in time, with the right configuration, you could have done a LOT better than 100db at 16hz. This driver sounds great with music too, it is a very low distortion design and it plays very detailed and clean.

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator

:D exactly. why do you think all us car audio junkies love the big speakers? i used to run two 15" titanics in my jeep for music

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks