What's new

Question (1 Viewer)

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
My tv doeesn't have an output hdmi port. So I have to run a cable from my reciever to tv for the audio. This is fine in most cases except when I change the input on the recievers. So if I wanted to watch a blu ray and then play my xbox after I have to pull the reciever out and switch the inputs for the audio. It has gotten so agrivating that I don't use my recievers audio for my xbox anymore. So basically I was wondering if there is a solution to this. Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Which brand and model number is the receiver, display, bluray, cable/satillite and anything else you have. I would hook the bluray player and and xbox straight to the receiver for audio and to the display for video. Assign the audio inputs on the receiver and when you switch inputs on the receiver it will switch the audio for you.

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
The reciever is a pioner vsx-1017txv-k I have a sony blu ray..model number is 460 or something like that. tv- Samsung. I think it's a series 4 or 5? I forget it's been a while I have a cable box I'll try that out when I get home and let you know if it works. Thanks

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I have the xbox and blu ray already hooked to the reciever through hdmi cables. I'm not seeing what at all I have to do to make this work

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
According to the manual on pg 53 the HDMI 1 input is assigned to the DVD/LD button on the remote and HDMI 2 is the TV/SAT button unless someone else re-assigned the inputs to another button. Also, your Pioneer 1017 is an early hdmi receiver. I'm afraid it only passes video through the hdmi connection. You need an optical or coaxial connection from the bluray player to the 1017 for audio (see pg 52). It will however send audio through the hdmi connection to your tv's speakers :confused: . So, you can hook the receiver to your tv with an hdmi cable and listen to the tv's speakers but you can't listen to speakers hooked up to the 1017's speaker outputs. You should connect the BluRay player via hdmi to the receivers HDMI 1 input and the Cable box to the HDMI 2 input for video. Then use optical cables to the receiver for audio (assign the inputs to DVD/LD and TV/SAT, again pg 52). You must also go into both the BluRay player and cable boxes setup menu's and select hdmi as the video output and optical as the audio output and then the receiver should switch both video and audio. Are you as confused as I am?

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
A little, but follow most of all of it As of now: I have the cable box's hdmi going to the tv. Blu ray player assigned on the reciever hdmi input port 1 xbox on the reciever hdmi input 2 Output hdmi on the reciever going to the tv. Audio cables going from the tv to the reciever on tv/sat S-video cable from tv to the monitor out on the reciever. So basically to get the sound for both my blu ray and xbox I have to get another audio cable, correct? Also do I even need the s-cable? When I get a new reciever it will have the new hdmi technology so I don't need the audio cables, correct?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, to get audio from the BluRay player and xbox to your speakers connected to the receiver you will need to hook up a digital cable, either optical or coaxial, to the receiver and assign the inputs on the receiver. But you should get audio from the tv's speakers according to the manual (I think :confused: ). Are you getting audio to your speakers from the cable box/ If you only have an hdmi cable going from the cable box to the tv I'd be surprised if you are. The tv would have to convert the digital audio to analog and I didn't think any tv did that. But I could be wrong. And yes, with a newer receiver you would only need hdmi cables from each component to the tv and then one hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv. The receiver would definently switch both audio and video and you would never have to change the input on the receiver. Much easier.

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Yea the way I have it set up I get audio from the cable box. Do I need the video s cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks