What's new

Question Revised: Connecting TV, HDD/DVD Recorder, AV Receiver and BluRay (1 Viewer)

jflick

Auditioning
Real Name
Joanne Flick
Please help me to properly connect these components as I'm having a devil of a time!

Components:

1. Onkyo 7.1 HTS5300 AV Receiver

2. Vizio LCD HDTV with 2 HDMI ports

3. Magnavox MDR-513H HDD/DVD Recorder

4. Panasonic BluRay DMP-BDP100

I do NOT have HD programming or a set top box so my Time Warner cable is just coming out from the wall.

Goals:

1. be able to record one TV show with my DVR while watching another show on the TV

2. be able to watch blu ray discs and things I record with the DVR but have the audio come throughthe Onkyo receiver since it has DTS, premium dolby audio rather than just stereo audio.

3. with the TV and receiver turned off, the DVR should be able to turn on and record the audio and video signals from a TV show. When playing back the recording, it should be of the highest possible audio and video quality.

Connections so Far Which I Think Are Correct:

1. Time Warner coax cable connected to the DVR.

2. AV receiver HDMI (out) connected to TV HDMI port/jack 1

3. Digital optical cable connects from AV receiver digital (in) to TV digital optical (out)

4. Composite yellow video cable from AV receiver Monitor Out to TV Video In (Onkyo connections diagram said this was necessary to watch videos played back on TV - )

Here's what's confusing me. To meet my goals, I don't know which of the following options I'm supposed to use:

1. using HDMI cables, plug both the blu ray and DVR into the HDMI-2 port on the TV (I'd have to use an HDMI splitter since I only have 2 HDMI ports on the TV and the HDMI-1 port on the TV connects to the receiver), OR;

2. plug them both into the AV receiver with HDMI cables

Questions/Issues with Option 1

1. Do I need to connect the blue ray and DVR to the receiver as well as the TV in order to get the premium audio signals like DTS from the receiver?

2. If I want to play a blu ray disc or watch a TV show I recorded on the DVR, I first have to go into the TV's menu and choose an input source. On the Vizio, my choices are: TV, AV, Comp, HDMI-1, HDMI-2, AV, RGB and Media......there is no option to select AV receiver as the input source even though that is what the DVR and blu ray would be connected to. Do I need additional cables to connect the blu ray and DVR to the TV since there is no direct connection between them now? If so, what kind and where do I connect them?

With Option 2, would I still need to connect the blu ray and DVR to the TV in addition to the receiver somehow? If so, what kind and where do I connect them?

Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated as I'm about to go nuts!

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Just remember - HDMI is your friend...go with option 2...only need 3 HDMI cables for what you listed.

I looked up your receiver - and it shows the following: 4 HDMI Inputs - 1 HDMI output...

So...

Hook up both of the inport sources to the receiver using an HDMI cable - using 2 of the 4 available HDMI input ports - this will carry both video and audio to the receiver...

your recorder will handle all of the watching 1 channel/recording another one...nothing to do with TV connections...

3. Magnavox MDR-513H HDD/DVD Recorder - has an HDMI output (at least it says it does... when I looked it up)

4. Panasonic BluRay DMP-BDP100

From your receivers 1 HDMI output - connect this to the TV with an HDMI cable...the receiver will deal with the audio, and pass the video on to the TV. Turn off your TV speakers and use your receiver/speakers for sound.

That is all you need to do.

No need for the following:

3. Digital optical cable connects from AV receiver digital (in) to TV digital optical (out)

... no need to get sound from the TV in this direction - cable from the wall goes into DVR, signal comes from the blue ray - all going to the receiver via HDMI - and passed on to the TV. It is at the end of the chain, and only needed for video - no need to get an audio signal back from the TV to the receiver...

4. Composite yellow video cable from AV receiver Monitor Out to TV Video In (Onkyo connections diagram said this was necessary to watch videos played back on TV - )

... DVD recorder outputs HDMI..so this should not be needed...the single HDMI cable coming out of the receiver will take care of this...

"If I want to play a blu ray disc or watch a TV show I recorded on the DVR, I first have to go into the TV's menu and choose an input source. On the Vizio, my choices are: TV, AV, Comp, HDMI-1, HDMI-2, AV, RGB and Media......there is no option to select AV receiver as the input source even though that is what the DVR and blu ray would be connected to. Do I need additional cables to connect the blu ray and DVR to the TV since there is no direct connection between them now? If so, what kind and where do I connect them?

Just connect your HDMI output of your receiver to 1 of the HDMI inputs on your TV (like HDMI-1) - the TV does not care where the signal is comming from.. Just leave your TV set to that input at all times, and use the receiver to switch sources. For whatever source you select - it's signal will end up on your TV through that input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks