Question re UK's Arrow Films Blu-ray Label

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by cineMANIAC, Apr 27, 2010.

1. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    I read about Arrow Films on another forum and decided to take a chance on their Day of the Dead Blu-ray not expecting it to actually play even though it was region-free. Not only did the movie disc play just fine, I was blown away by how good the film looks compared to Anchor Bay's version. However, the second disc apparently plays but the screen on my Plasma TV is black. The disc says PAL, so why does the movie work on my region 1 player but not the extras?

2. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    The movie works because it's encoded as 1080p/24 - the same as North American blu-rays. The extras don't play because they're PAL and your set can't accept a PAL signal.

3. cineMANIAC

Supporter

Luis
    Yeah, thanks. I knew about my TV not being PAL but why are they blacking out the extras?
    Not being able to watch them is not a big deal for me since I still have Anchor Bay's excellent DVD but it still would've been nice to have a "complete" package. This feels like half product. Anyway, I'm satisfied with this and now I'm curious what else these guys have released. Any place I can find out?

4. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    In HD, there is no NTSC and PAL; pretty much all films are presented in 1080p/24, so BD players and HD TVs the world round can all play them (unless they're region locked). However, extra features are often in SD, in this case PAL. They are not "blacking out" the extras, it's just that your equipment can't play the PAL format. The feature is not PAL, so your equipment can handle it.

5. cineMANIAC

Supporter

Luis
    Thank you Brian! I learn something every day