What's new

Question re: the new Patton & Tora Tora Tora 2-discs?... (1 Viewer)

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I just received my Cinema Classics version of Patton yesterday and started going through it to compare it to my old 2-disc to see if I could get rid of my old one. I've now decided I have to keep it in addition to the old one. I've noted several differences between the discs that no one else has pointed out.

The film:
The new disc is 23 seconds longer than the old one. This is due to 23 seconds of extra black screen during the intermission. In the new version, the intermission music begins playing at 01:41:30, whereas in the old disc it began at 01:41:07. There is simply 23 seconds of black screen waiting for the intermission music to start. This is not really that important, but it's a difference. Another difference I noted that I'm not sure how important it is is the fact that the subtitles for the Germans are different. In the new version, they are much smaller and lower in the frame. This could simply be due to 2 difference sources used for the transfers. (Did the subtitles differ between the 65mm & 35mm versions?) The third difference I've noted (this one bothers me) is that the end credits have been altered. In the old version the words "Produced & released by Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation" faded in and held for several seconds before they begin to scroll up. In the new version they are already scrolling when they fade in. The credits also scroll up at a slower rate than the old ones. This is done to account for the fact that the old "this film is rated M" information at the very end of the credits has been removed (the credits fade out right before that section would appear) but to make sure the end of the closing piece of score is not cut off.

The extras:
30 minutes of the audio essay is missing. On the old disc it lasted for the first 53 minutes, then had a break for a few minutes, and picked up again lasting until 81 minutes. The new disc only contains the first 53 minutes.
Also, the outtakes and radio spots that played after the isolated score were not carried over to the new disc.

Because of all these differences, I am keeping the old disc in addition to the new one.

Oh, and I prefer the new transfer. Yes, it is softer, but the color and artificialness of the old one was terrible. The larger you make it, the worse it looked compared to the new one.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Well spotted, Vincent. I am glad that I held onto my old 2-disc. I still say that the new transfer's colors are off and looks overly DVNR'd, but the old transfer was too dark in places.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks