Question re: DVD-A cds...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Trenton McNeil, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

I do not have a DVD-A compatible device, however, I am considering buying a few just for the Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes.

1st and most obvious question is this: HOW bad is the sound quality of the DD5.1 track? Is it terrible, or is it still enjoyable?

2nd question: Can you give me some recommendations??

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

No better or worse than a DVD-Video soundtrack would be from something like a concert DVD-V. Some of these are very enjoyable listens.

What type of music do you enjoy? I can throw out a number of titles, but unless you dig the tunes, I'm not sure what value this has.

Regards,

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Trenton, I would highly recommend Frank Zappa "Halloween" on DVD-A... and I, like you, can only access the DTS track!

I'm sure it depends on the particular release regarding how good or bad a given DTS or DD track sounds, but I can assure you they often sound very good, and certainly so with "Halloween". Of course, this is not an "audiophile grade" recording to begin with, but I'm almost certain you'll be most surprised by how good it sounds.

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Deep Purple's Machine Head sounded better on DD then any CD incarnations I've heard to date.The mix is a lot of fun as well.The same goes for ELP's Brain Salad Surgery.

5. Trenton McNeil

Never heard Zappa, ELP or Deep Purple. [​IMG]

I'm still young, only 31!!

Not to say I wouldn't enjoy broadening my horizons, as I do consider my musical tastes to be somewhat eclectic, but I would prefer sinking money into some more commonly known titles first.

That said...

I really enjoy clean guitar music, psychedelia (Floyd, Dead, Phish, etc.), well done country music, 90's heavy metal (and 80's Metallica'ish metal), and everything in between. I am getting into Jazz a bit, and am thrilled with the Sessions at west 54th series, for example.

More recommendations? This sounds fun!

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

7. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I have been buying DVD-A and I do not have DVD-A capability, I am yet to buy a disc that I have been unhappy with. Some have DD 5.1 and others will have dts while others will give you both.

Here is a list of some titles I have:

Eagles Hotel California- Incredible dts 5.1 remix of a great album (dts)

Fleetwood Mac Rumors- Great 5.1 remix here also (DD 5.1)

Corrs In The Blue- Sounds good (only care for a few tracks)(DD 5.1)

Olivia Newton John- Concert Not bad sound but a little questionable on the mix (dts 5.1)

Shedaisy Whole Shebang- Sounds great but wish they were a little more aggressive with the surrounds (dts ES)

Blue Man Group- Incredible DD 5.1 which I prefer over the dts track on the disc (DD 5.1, dts)

8. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well from your post I suggest Metallica's Black album on DVD-A, its a sweet disc, and I had it long before i got a dvd-a player.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" has been getting good reviews, and will likely be the next DVD-A disc I pick up. This music - sorta rock/pop/jazz/crooning, and not too unlike Steely Dan - may well be to your liking.

And since you're into the Dead, why not pick up the DVD-A discs of "American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead"? I've heard they're excellent, but I'm a bit more of a purist when it comes to these guys and the new HDCD remasters are excellent. Plus, I generally listen to the live stuff and only rarely the studio albums. Still... as a big fan of the Dead and multichannel music, I'm fairly certain I'll pick these two DVD-As up before long.

10. Trenton McNeil

Sounds cool!

Where would you guys recommending buying DVDAs?

11. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

For WB titles, the best pricing around seems to be from Circuit City -- the stores are supposed to be matching the web price of US$13.99.

For other companies titles, I suggest DVD Planet, which has (to me) offered excellent service and pricing is 25% off MSRP for all released titles. I don't know if they honor the 30% off for preorders of DVD-A titles.

Regards,

12. Trenton McNeil

DVD Planet is out of stock on most titles I would be interested in. I'm going to check out Circuit City tonight!

Thanks!

13. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Don't forget about this metal album being released today!

Sound samples here

LJ

14. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

sweet megadeath dvd-a Im buying

thanks Lance

15. Trenton McNeil

You know what sucks? I don't have DTS compatible equipment. ARGH! [​IMG]

16. Trenton McNeil

I picked up Trey Anastasio's solo effort....DD5.1 review coming later tonight!

17. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Well, forget about the Megadeath dvd-audio for now: Dvdangle.com said it's been delayed until 12/31! This is the second time so far. [​IMG]

And as far the dvd-audio flipper being a reality, here is an intriguing piece of news: dvdangle also said that Silverline's next upcoming "From The Front Row...Live!" titles got pushed back to August 12. This about the same time frame as when Warner's next big batch of dvd-audios is scheduled to appear. Hmmmmm........

And dvdangle said that the Pat Benatar "From The Front Row.....Live!" disc was quite good. Read about it here. Pat Benatar: rock's answer to Madonna!

LJ

18. Trenton McNeil

I gave a good listen to roughly half of the Trey Anastasio DVD, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the audio quality of DD5.1... Very natural sounding, perhaps just a touch too bright. This recording uses a lot of horns and this brightness detracts a bit from the enjoyment of that particular sound. Trey's voice is spot on, but I have yet to hear any particularly impressive guitar work, which is his forte in my opinion...

There certainly is a dearth of DVD-A titles available, but I am encouraged by the reasonable pricing they have been given. I will be picking another one up soon.

19. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

Wait till you hear the DVD-A version.......Not a bit shrill and the bass is awsome.....

True, it's not his best work. He seems to be really laid back for the last couple of years....Still there are some gems on it.

20. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Here's what happened to the Megadeth dvd-audio: Band interview

And that Staind dvd-audio that was supposed to come out yesterday (Tuesday)? At my local Best Buy my contact [​IMG] looked it up on the computer & there is no stock listed for any of my city's stores. He had no idea why.

LJ