What's new

Question on XM? (1 Viewer)

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I use musicchoice on Directv which I have connected to my home system digitally. Is is worth it to go to using XM? I know I would be able to use XM in the car, but I would primarely use it in the house. So I guess the real question is what would XM bring to the table? My music tastes are all over the board, but I guess I do listen to 80's music alot. Also one last question does the antenna actually have to be outside? My only outlet in this apt is the sliding glass doors which face west to northwest. Thanks!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Calvin,

This is a tough one.

The music coming through your DirecTV
will positively sound better through
your home receiver than XM will.

The quality of satellite radio music
is that of MP3. With the right hookup
it sounds better than FM but falls short
of CD quality.

Where satellite works best is in the car
because audio standards are generally lower
than listening on a home system. For most
people who use satellite in their car, it
easily replaces their CD listening choices
because of the extensive amount of programming
offered. Many people will also tell you that
they enjoy the "surprise" of not knowing
what will be played next.

People who bring their satellite radio into
their homes generally hook it up to a boombox
or computer speakers. Under those conditions
the average listener may not be able to
distinguish the audio quality against CD.

However....

If you are going to attempt to hook XM to
your expensive home stereo, I would look into
investing in the Polk XRT12. The optical connection will yield
better audio quality than the standard RCA inputs.

For me, I enjoy XM above anything that came
before it. There's so much more than just music
channels and I like the convenience of using a
a receiver loaded with presets.

....but I have been where you are. Prior to
satellite radio I listened to those DirecTV
music channels and enjoyed them immensely. The
quality was exceptional and that's the one thing
that is lacking with the satellite radio technology.

Not sure what to reccomend under your circumstances.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
The new Yamaha units are XM ready. $49 for the Antenna that you do not have too put outdoors ...subscribe and your set. The demo I got from the Yamaha rep was in the audio store...and the Antena was behind the reciever in a cube! Cant wait to get mine hooked up. Ive had XM in my vehicles for 2yrs now and love it. The 80's station I really like mysef as well.

good luck.
Thomas.

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ron & Thomas. I appreciate your input. Will programming for both be similar? Say for example on the 80's channel will XM have a bigger playlist than Directv? Thomas when you get a chance let us know what you think of the Yamaha's performance at home. Again thanks guys!

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I have the DirecTV MusicChoice service. Everything that Ron says about relative sound quality is true. Additionally, I DON'T have my antenna outside, just pointed out my south-facing glass doors. No problem with reception.

I do, however, think that in every category XM radio has the DirecTV music services beat in depth of playlist.

For my part, I have lots of LPs and lots of CDs when I want to hear high-quality sound. The problem for me often is that I can't decide what to listen to. XM Radio solves that problem for me when I just want to start some music without thinking about making a choice (other than what channels to select.)

I find myself listening to XM on my home theater system (not a boom box!) more often than MusicChoice because I prefer their selection and greater variety of musical styles.

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bob!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble deciding what to listen to! Large collection also. I appreciate everyone's input.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bob,

How does XM sound on your Home Theater system?

We had a member here a few months back complaining
about the sound quality he was receiving.

I also agree that XM playlist is far better than
what DirecTV offers. SIRIUS is not.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I only have sirus with my Dish sat system :frowning: So I cant really say how it compares too what you are used too now.
I'm only couple weeks away from hooking the yamaha up. I probably could do a temp setup for her, but I really want to get her full potential out of the box.

Dean_S

Second Unit
Wow, I always thought MC channels sounded terrible but haven't listened to them in a few years...have they improved in the past few years???

Ronn.W

Second Unit

If they sound good now, I'd hate to have heard them before! I have MC through digital cable, and even hooked up to my HT, it sounds tinny and thin. Maybe it depends upon your provider, though.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Is this old news? I did search here and did not find it.

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/xm.html

Looks like those that prefer Music Choice are going to be a bit cheesed off. Kind of wondering how the sound quality is going to be? Will D* get a direct feed, or will they get they same thing we all get, and then compress it even more?

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks