What's new

question on speaker cable replacement and recommendations (1 Viewer)

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

Ok I have a sort of odd and probably dumb question. I recently moved so I now have more space to spread out my speakers and equipment. However the spot where I want to place my rack would be too far from my mains and center channel speaker (Paradigm 7's and a CC370) so I would need new cable just for those three. The surround cables are fine since I purchased them really long the first time around. I currently have IXOS 6003 gamma geometry series speaker cable. Doing a search for this doesn't bring up results in terms of places that sell it so I assume they don't make it anymore? Would it be ok to have different cables for the front and different cables for the surrounds since I would still like to use the ones I have and save some money. I believe it should be but thought I'd ask. What would be a comparable quality cable to replace the front and center? I'm sort of on a budget this time around so if it is ok to use different cables I would prefer something affordable but comparable. I can't even remember what I originally paid for this cable it was over ten years ago. Thanks in advance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will second Blue Jeans and Monoprice. I've bought a ton of stuff from both of them. AC4L is also good, but I tend to not buy cables/wire from them unless they have a great deal.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to the both of you. So this monoprice place makes their own cables? They definitely seem priced really low which is a good thing. I will check out the other two links in a bit. So lastly, it doesn't or shouldn't make a difference if my cables don't match then?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Eric,

Just a quick clarification - when talking about speaker connections, a lot of folks simply use the bare wire connection (binding posts or spring-clips on smaller speakers). Thus, a bulk roll of 14 gauge speaker wire is all that is necessary and can be picked up just about anywhere.

There is really no performance advantage associated with using any of the variety of speaker wire terminations such as banana plugs/spades. Some might argue that corrosion of the bare wire is minimized by terminations that cover the exposed wire, but, IMO, that's a nitpick and isn't going to lead to any audible difference.

The only advantage they really offer is appearance and (in some cases) easier connection/disconnection - but that's only an issue if you're constantly tearing down/setting up your gear.

Now, having said all that, I think I need to come clean and admit something. In my dedicated theater room, I ran all my speaker wire in-wall and installed binding post plates for each speaker. Rather than running bare wire to each speaker (especially the front three), I enclosed my 14 gauge speaker wires in techflex mesh, used black heat-shrink tubing and banana plug terminations for a REALLY clean and professional look. It was COMPLETELY for aesthetics, but I like the look and it was a fun DIY project.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think banana plugs are a good idea on the receiver end. Frayed wires touching the chassis and sending the receiver into protect mode seem to happen quite often. And they are much easier to install the wire as the terminals on the back of most avr's are very close together.

I also use spades on the speaker end because I'm constantly switching things around and spades just make it easier. I also like the use of shrink wrap. Might as well do it once and forget about it.

But I buy and sell quite a few things off ebay, Audiogon etc. For those who don't, carefull installation of bare wire is just fine.

kfalls

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Falls
Emotiva is having their annual 4th of July sale. They have manufactures speaker cables and bulk at very reasonable prices and shipped free. Also for the sale, they're sending a t-shirt with every order. They are a very well respected company who manufacture high-end audio for low cost. Check them out. I think their 12ga bulk speaker wire runs about $0.79/ft and banana termination kits (plugs, shrink tubing) for a pair of cables is only $8. They have interconnects on sale as well, 2m stereo pair for $8, individual cables $5.60. Free shipping on everything. I'm not associated with the company, just feel this is a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks