Question on Rollercoaster 1977, Two-Minute Warning 1976, and The Hindenburg 1975

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MCCLOUD, Jan 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Personally, I thought the Skyjacked DVD that Warner put out a couple of years ago looked fantastic. Not quite sure what Blu will bring to the table since it was always a grainy pic to begin with. Seems like there's more opportunity for harm than good on that one.

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Blu ray will handle the film grain better than DVD and it should be more film like if treated correctly.

3. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    I certainly appreciate that it can be better, just suggesting that it can also be worse. Goodness knows there are plenty of titles out there as evidence.

4. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Susan Sullivan was never in the original theatrical version of Midway. She was added to the expanded TV version as well as some re-used midway battle footage passed off as the battle of Coral Sea.

6. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

I have seen the tv versions of Midway and Earthquake so much that the tv versions are the movie versions to me. I wish they would give us the option of the movie or tv version. You would think that with all the space on a blu-ray and not a huge amount of extras that there would be plenty of room for both.

andySu likes this.
  7. Bob Cashill

EARTHQUAKE, in particular, plays a lot better without all the TV-added fodder, but I get where you're coming from. That said, the TV stuff was filmed 1:37:1, correct, so it wouldn't exactly mesh with the rest in its OAR, unless you wanted the entire presentation to be pan/scan/full-frame.

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Did they shoot using the same 35mm cameras, if so then surely they can present them widescreen if the original negative exists of the newly shot footage, i understand NBC did this two years after the film wrapped and the director hated the new footage.

9. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Ive been really tempted to get the Painted Veil but my blind buying hasnt been really successful lately. Is this any good , any film that it is similar to ?

10. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

I could go either way. Either offer the pan and scan tv version or cut the tv footage in with the movie footage. Earthquake does have an interesting scene where a airplane lands right when the earthquake hits. The pilots then have to take off again when the runway breaks up. that would seem to fit in with the multiple disasters depicted in the film.

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Watching two minute on max in HD at the moment. Looks pretty good. And first time I've seen it uncut since the 70's. saw it with my dad back in the theaters then. Scared the hell out of me

12. Bob Cashill

Updating this 3.5-year old thread: There's a new, region-free ROLLERCOASTER Blu-ray available from Amazon Italy. It's a solid 2:35:1 transfer, though only one of the two Italian soundtracks is multichannel. (The English-language track is 2.0.) Extras are a ragged trailer and a useless stills gallery. This seems like the sort of Universal title that, say, Shout Factory will get to eventually, but this is a good presentation if you're willing to forgo the 5.1 audio (and I can; the highpoints on the coasters are pretty much dialogue-free anyway, and you can switch over to it when they occur.)

13. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

I saw a TV version of Earthquake years ago... on ITV maybe 20 years ago, I think it was broadcast rather late early morning hours. And recently seen bits of it on youtube.

14. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Huh? Italian 5.1, English 2.0 or would that be English, duel mono or 1.1 like the region 1 DVD, that I have, the LFE.1 works effectively with rollercaoster moments.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rollercoaster-Il-Grande-Brivido-Blu-ray/137368/

disclord of LDDB who sadly passed away last year, :( mentioned a few years ago that the region 1 DVD if when turned upside down has some music or sensurround or something for a few minutes but have been unable to play when turned upside down, I think he was having me. :D

15. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

Rollercoaster was never 5.1 or even stereo as far as I know. For those of you who talked about the Earthquake TV version, some of the scenes can be seen here:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZc3atsXxk

andySu likes this.
  16. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

The TV version is of course only panned and scanned not 2.35:1 and I guess no Sensurround.

17. Bob Cashill

Artificial or not, the 5.1 Italian track has some verve to it, but I'm not sure it's a dealbreaker. (Interestingly the U.S. trailer included doesn't even mention Sensurround.) I'm just glad to have the movie available in watchable form.

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Some copies of Rollercoaster (as well as a few other DVDs, including "Glitch!" on the defunct Simitar label which I have) had an audio CD of train sound effects on the label side which was actually playable if you cleaned off the label printing with alcohol. I don't know what the reason for that was, but it's defnitely there. Other single-layer DVDs have had playable DVD material on the label side- most from Warner had the same thing duplicated on both sides, a couple of the "cheapo labels" have color bars, and I found an entire movie called "Time Under Fire" on the label side of a few other Simitar discs!

andySu likes this.
  19. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

I have that Saturday, SENSURROUND feeling urge to for 1.1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the transparent look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also on Laserdisc which is first one I brought then heard about the R1-DVD and brought that a few weeks later a few years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture on screen is R1-DVD still playing.

This is one SENSURROUND film I didn't see down town or maybe didn't know about it at the time. Earthquake 70mm sensurround and (Battlestar, 1.1 resulted in tinnitus).

20. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    I've been on that actual rollercoaster, and it has natural built-in Sensurround. :D