Question on playing Mp3 with cd player and pre/pro

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Lolipox, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Lolipox

Lolipox Auditioning

Hello all, i'm new in this forum. I have one quick question and hope that some of you can help.

Can i play a mp3 CD in my Cd player and connect the Cd player with a digital co-ax cable to my pre/pro?
    I'm not sure the DAC in the pre/pro can convert mp3 signal to analog or is the cd player that decode mp3 files and send the digital (pcm) signal to the pre/pro which then converted to analog.

I hope this isnt too stupid of a question.

Please clarify.. anybody? Thanksss

2. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

If your CD player can't decode the signal, it won't send through any signal to your pre/pro. Therefore, you need a CD player capable of decoding MP3 file formats.

3. Lolipox

Lolipox Auditioning

So basically my cd player (mp3 capable) will decode the mp3 files into pcm and send the digital signal to my pre/pro which then convert it to analog?
    [​IMG]

4. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

That about sums it up.

5. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Check Out Ebay or Audiogon for a Dared MP-5, cheap tube/mosfet hybrid amp with a usb port, it will connect directly to a PC or MP3 player . They sell for around $389, I got mine used for $260. Very nice sound for a cheap amp. It has a single line level input as well as a headphone jack . Check google for many positive reviews, really no other product like it. Dared is very cheap chineses kit, but uses parts like, NOS Allen bradley carbon comp. resistors, Black Gate electrolytics, auricap coupling caps, silver wiring and gold plated PC boards so , pretty well made for cheap gear.