What's new

question on my rx-v1300 and video switching (1 Viewer)

DeanQ

Stunt Coordinator
I had a question. I bought my new yamaha rx-v1300 for video switching ability. I have one sony component video DVD player, dish network s-video, and a component video xbox. Well after reading around I see that I will still need to feed a s-video cable and a component cable from the tv to my receiver which is no big deal. But if I wanted to switch from my dish to a dvd movie will I still have to hit tv/video button on my mitsubish hdtv to change video inputs and still change audio inputs on my reciever? Is there any way to make it where if I change inputs on my reciever it will switch video too or am i SOL? I was doing the manual method before with my yamaha rx-v596 receiver, changing tv/video on my tv then changing audio input on my receiver.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
my dish to a dvd movie will I still have to hit tv/video button on my mitsubish hdtv to change video inputs and still change audio inputs on my reciever?
Yes.

There are some solutions:

- Get a programmable remote that has "Macro" features. Program the buttons to switch both the receiver and TV to the specific input with 1 button press. The OneForAll Cinema 7 is a good unit for about $25.

- Get rid of the SVideo feed from the DSS box by buying an IScan Pro which will take a SVideo signal and up-convert it to Progressive with Component cables. Now all your sources are Component so you dont need the SVideo cable from receiver to TV. But these things cost about $500+

DeanQ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. Is there a cheaper company who makes something similar to the IScan Pro for cheaper? No competitors? And what other use is the IScan Pro used for besides what I would use it for in my situation.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Dean, this isn't related to your question, but I'm curious -- what kinds of differences in sound quality, if any, did you notice when you upgraded from the 596 to the 1300?

DeanQ

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't hooked it up yet. Im waiting on my new entertainment center to show up before I have to take everything apart. But as soon as I hook it up I can let u know.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, thanks. I've been planning to get the 1300 for some time, but have been distracted by other upgrades. I'm a firm believer in the notion that speaker upgrades make the biggest difference, but I'm thinking that I should notice subtle differences from a receiver upgrade too.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
And what other use is the IScan Pro used for besides what I would use it for in my situation.
The IScan Pro is considerd a "de-interlacer". It take as input a interlaced video signal and converts it to progressive. These are important for projector systems that dont have built-in "doublers/de-interlacers" so you can use older VCR's, DSS, (non-progressive sources).

And yes, they are expensive. But at $699 - these are dirt-cheap compared to the $2,000 nearest competitor.

You can also do this (it sounds a bit funny, but it works):

XBox - straight to the TV with component cables
DVD - straight to the TV with component cables
DVD - to the receiver with SVideo
DSS - to the receiver with SVideo
Receiver - to the TV with SVideo

Leave the TV to view the SVideo feed from the receiver. Now the receiver lets you flip between DSS and DVD with 1 remote.

You must still flip the TV input for XBox or to see the higher-quality feed from the DVD player, but your big issue of DVD->DSS->DVD becomes simplified.

The $25 OneForAll-7 with macro buttons to take care of the switching is still the best solution.

DeanQ

Stunt Coordinator
I have that new radio shach remote control called the kameleon, which has I think 5 macros. I assume that remote will work as well as the one u mentioned? Correct? And I do I need to use discrete codes? Kinda confused on that. I have a macro setup to turn my system on, receiver,tv and dish to on. I noticed if i screwed up and one thing was already on or off it would do the opposite of what I wanted.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I noticed if i screwed up and one thing was already on or off it would do the opposite of what I wanted.
Exactly. Most "Power" buttons toggle the power and it messes things up if some are on or off.

Many electronics also support "Descrete Codes" that will only turn something OFF or ON.

www.remotecentral.com has an entire fourm dedicated to descrete codes: Descrete Codes Fourm It's a great place to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks