What's new

Question on IR extending? (1 Viewer)

EdAngell

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to search, but nothing comes up under "IR"

I would like to know what I need to control my dvd player and receiver which will be in a mechanical closet from an IR "eye" that will be mounted under the screen in my rec-room.

What products can you recommend?

Would something like this work?

Is there a plate that I can put on the wall (like a Leviton quick-connect system type thing) that the IR "eye" can be mounted in?

I appreciate your help, thanks!

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
The hotlink Pro you're looking at is perfect for this. This one has a 3 foot cable with a cylindrical tip which is the receiver. If that's not long enough, they offer an extention cable. It looks like a regular RCA cable, but it's supposedly different.

As far as I know, this one can't be connected to a box or plate, short of running the receiver cable itself into the box with some sort of screen to tidy it up. I laid some small pieces of velcro adhered to the bottom of my plasma screen to hold the cable in place horizontally. You have to be looking for it to even know it's there.

Craig W

Second Unit
Nile Audio makes a modular system that consists of IR sensors, relay system/controller and IR repeaters. It is not cheap though.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Niles makes two kits the RCA2 and RCA3. Do you have a universal remote, or are you planning on buying one? The reason I ask is because a lot of universal remotes have RF/IR repeaters that are available.

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
I built a system around buffalo electronics (from parts express). I have an IR repeater (IR-350 $45.50) in my center speaker stand, connected to 22gauge shielded wire I ran before the drywall up back to my component closet. There it is hooked up to an IR receiver (IR-100 $29.82, can connect to 4 flashers), which the IR flashers (IR-EL $8.50ea, will need one for each component you want to control) are connected too. You will also need a power supply (DV-9500 $8.88) The IR repeaters are then stuck over the remote sensors on the equipment. Look in your manuals to find out where the sensor is if it is not readily apparent. Then use a flashlight to really pinpoint where it is.

Works like a dream - no more wondering if the signal got to the equipment. Or pointing the remote over my shoulder.

Total cost 118.20 for 4 components plus shipping/handleing and cost of the wire, etc.

EdAngell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure how long of a run it will be from the front screen wall to the mechanical room, but I know for sure that it's a heck of a lot longer than 3 feet! :)

I have a phone/data jack in the wall that another installer told me I could use because the phone doesn't use all the terminals in the phone wire?

Anyone familiar with what he is talking about? (I wasn't there when he was trying to esplain it to my wife)

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
depends on the wire behind - all our jack are cat5e (4 twisted pairs). Phone needs 1 twisted pair per line. so if you have extra twisted pairs, then you can use those for the IR repeater system. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks