What's new

question on installation (1 Viewer)

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Gang,
I have Dish Network for many years. The wife and I just bought a new house that is being built. When I move I can either stay with Dish or go to other. The questions are:
a) do I switch
b) How should I prewire for the Dish? There will already be coax in every room in the house with a central box located under the stairs. A local guy recomended that I run 6 seperate cables to the future location of the dish so I can be ready for HDTV. Does this sound correct?
I apreciate any advise you can give me.
Thanks,
Michael
[email protected]

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I have DirecTV and use the Hughes E86 w/ elliptical dual LNB dish and HD signals are passed to my 16:9 HDTV with only 1 coax line. My second coax line allows the TV's in my other 2 bedrooms to watch the same channel since I only have a single receiver.

The other 5 runs of caox will allow independent receivers, but you will need a 6 way multiswitch I suppose. How many rooms need to have a TV? Do you want separate receivers?

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John,

I do not see my wife and I ever having more than two TVs on at the same time. In fact we only own two tvs. Therefore I will need two recievers. But only one TV is HDTV ready. From your HDTV dish to your receiver you only have one line runing (one line for each of your receivers making two total)??

If so Then I only need two lines form the Dish. I thought more lines wee needed for the HDTV signal. Therefore I will not worry about running the lines until I order the dish. Are you happy with Direct TV? I heard they have horrible customer service. Dish Network has been OK for the past 5 years for me. But I can switch. How much was your Hughes E86 receiver? And is that all you need to gain access to the signal?

Thanks,

Michael

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I just signed up w/ DirecTV a few weeks ago, and my experience on the phone (twice) was pleasant.

I have one receiver. The coax line from the dish on the roof goes thru the attic, to my receiver (HDTV), and another coax from the receiver goes to a splitter in the attic and to the other 2 rooms.

I gave 700.00 + tax for the Hughes E86 HDTV receiver, Dual LNB Elliptical dish, plus setup and installation.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There will already be coax in every room in the house
I would run two coax per room. DirecTivo and the still un-released PVR721 both require two connections for their dual tuners to work properly.

I switched from Dish to DirecTV two weeks ago to take advantage of the Tivo deals and local channels (my locals weren't on Dish). The setup phone call was under ten minutes and I called back a week later to add programming and that was under two minutes. No hold time!

Through my research, the cheapest way to get an eliptical dish is sign up with Blockbuster and tell them you want the Para Todos dish. It's free with a programming commitment. Then buy an HD receiver and add it as a second receiver. There are also some places that will send you a Hughes DirecTivo and an 18" dish free with commitment. Add another 18" dish, switch and HD receiver. Two separate dishes allow you to fine tune on each satellite.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks