What's new

Question on flexi rack. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
OK, I decided to take the plunge and try to make my own flexi rack. But, I have a couple of questions. The big one is this. The place I went to get everything didn't have any 3/4" or 5/8" all thread. I ended up getting 6 1/2" ones, 3 for each side. Do you think that this will be strong enough? Next, I think I have this right, but I want to make sure. I put a washer and nut on the top and bottom of each rod for each panel right? Last thing, what do y'all think about putting rollers on the bottom. What I was thinking, since I have 6 rods, is to make 4 of them go through the bottom and the other 2 just through one layer of the MDF. Thanks for helping out a DIY virgin. :)
------------------
Jeff Blair
It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!
My DVD's

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, sounds like you're all set but I wouldn't use 1/2" rods. I'd use at least 5/8". In fact, I've only used 3/4" thick rods for the two that I built. Click the green house above this post and go to my web site. They're under the DIY section. Or you can just go to:
Link Removed

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I was afaid of that. I was hopeing that adding in one more set of the 1/2" would help. Looks like another trip to the store. Plus I was going to get some PVC pipe for the back of it, for the wires. Thanks, and I hope mine looks as good as yours when I am done.
------------------
Jeff Blair
It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!
My DVD's

EddieN

Agent
David, I just finished building my first flexi rack. I'll post pics once I get everything setup on it. My question is why would you not recommend using 1/2' threaded rods ? Unfortunately the place I went to didn't have 5/8 or 3/4 inch rods so I went with 1/2. I'm going to be putting alot of equipment on the rack. Thanks for the comments.
------------------
- Eddie

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Jeff,
Rather than using PVC pipe for wire management, head over to Altex electronics on I-35 just north of 183. They've got some larger diameter black split loom that works absolutely great. Because it's flexible, it is relatively easy to work with. I bought 20' of the 1.5" loom for about $20.
I second David's suggestion to use at least the 5/8", as it leads to a much sturdier rack. I also think that 4 rods would look much better than 6. Last time I was at the Home Depot near my house (the one on Brodie Lane down south) they had plenty of the 5/8" rods.
I didn't go with 3/4" because they didn't have any of the nuts and washers when I was buying my supplies.
How are you finishing your shelves?
Have fun!

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I am thinking about getting the spray paint that looks like limestone. It has a rough surface, and look nice. It is either that, or try to get a "piano" finish on it.
------------------
Jeff Blair
A little boy asked his father, "Daddy, how much does it cost to get
married?" And the father replied, "I don't know son, I'm still paying.
My DVD's

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'd also not recommend using anything less than 5/8". The only concern is how flimsy the rack will start to become with the smaller diameter rod. I used 3/4" which I picked up from Home Depot, if they do not have it in stock, I'm sure they can order it.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
RonSig.jpg

The Green Room

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Jeff I just got my stuff from ABC Bolt of Austin. They are over off of Ben White on Burleson. All you do is walk in to the counter say I would 3 allthread in 5/8" with x number of nuts and washers, the guy says okay, goes in back and 2 min. later he emerges with perfect rods and a box containing the hardware and he charges you less, yes less than Lowes or the Depot.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Greg

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Is it a LOT cheaper? I live up north near 1431 and I-35. If it is only a buck or so less, I will just get it near me. But, thanks for the tip. And Chad, that is a good idea, I will have to see if I can find some when I go to the store the next time.
------------------
Jeff Blair
My DVD's

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jeff. Look in the Yellow Pages under fasteners (?). Capitol bolt or someone has a place north off Rutland I believe. Call 'em first. I just finished my Tempest sonosub and painted the outer caps with gray granite stone faux paint and it looks good. Expensive paint at $7.97/can.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
My bad,it is actually American Bolt Co. 443-8521 www.americanbolt.com I would bet they would have the acorn nuts but you might give'em a call. Cost wise they are not way cheaper but for being so easy to use and the product is perfect. Nothing pisses me off more than to get home with an allthread and as I'm putting on the nuts and come to a ding in the thread where someone at the hardware store shoved another rod into it. I bought three 5/8" x 36" rods and 18 nuts and 18 washers for $19. Like I said I was there all of 3 min.
Greg

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Hi all,
I want to thank all of you for all of your help, and input. As I am typing this I have 4 boards drying from some touch up paint I had to put on this morning. Hank, I got the black paint you are talking about. I had to use about 5 cans, it dosn't go as far as what I thought it would.
frown.gif
Looking back, I should have panted it flat black, then use the textured paint. Ohh well, I'll do that when I do my TV stand. The big test will come on Friday, the "girlfriend" test :) so far it looks good. I did pick up the 3/4" all-thread. I also picked up some casters, so I can move it easer. I'll have to get the flexi-loom on friday. Did you attach it to the rack, or just leave it loos. Again, thanks for all of the help, I know why that this site is number one in my book. :)
------------------
Jeff Blair
My DVD's

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Re: the split loom, I ended up not attaching it. I was going to use self-adhesive velcro to do it, but it looked pretty good just hanging there.
Sounds like you're making great progress. Good luck with the girlfriend test!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks