What's new

Question for those who have gone from cable to DSS (1 Viewer)

I'm planning on going from cable TV to DSS. My question for you guys is this. Can and will the installer connect the satellite to my existing RG6 cable that runs into my house? Basically disconnect the Cable company feed and then hookup the satellite feed, thus eliminating the need to run new cable all over my house. Thanks in advance for your input.

-Steve

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Satellite uses it's own proprietary switches (signal splitters and combiners), so you can only use the existing cable in your house if it goes through no splitters. Every run of cable from the receiver to the switches or Dish LNBs must be splitter free.

-Lyle J.P.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
See if the single cable runs into the house to a single splitter - replace the splitter with a multiswitch, and you're OK.

Hmmm, I'll have to check outside in the morning. I can only assume that the line that comes to the house is getting split somewhere cuz I have cable in almost every room.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
From the dish you will need 2 wires that go to the multiswitch - then single lines to each TV. Each TV will also need a decoder box.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
A friend of mine recently had DirecTV installed and had the satellite feed connected to a the cable box outside his house. He has a new home with RG6 cable throughout the house to each cable outlet. The house also came with something called the Home Director, which is a central box which routes audio, video and high speed data to all rooms of the house. It must come with some type of multiswitch, because I went over, skeptical that he could connect the satellite dish that way, and we were able to watch 2 different channels on 2 separate TV's (he has 2 receivers).
I'll try and find out more about it and get back to you.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Try to talk to the installer before he comes out to your home and let him/her know how your house is configured. Hopefully the installer will then have all of the supplies needed to get you up and running without having to come back with more cable , multi-switchs, recievers, etc.

BTW, Who are you signing up with, Dishnetwork or Directv?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks