What's new

Question for those who aren't buying an X-Box ... (1 Viewer)

Frederick

Second Unit
(Note: This should probably be in the Hardware section. Any Admin reading this can move it if they'd like ...)
First, let's keep this civil. No fanboy attacks. No flames. No name calling. Someone asked me a question, so I thought I'd pose it to my fellow video-game addicts ...
I was in Toy's R Us, just looking around, counting the days `till the 18th, when I saw a rather perplexed woman standing in front of the PS2 kiosk asking someone who worked there questions about the various systems. I assumed that he was new, `cause he was clueless. So I offered my assistance. We all chatted back and forth, and in the end, she had a pretty good grip on what to buy her son (she went for the PS2, by the way, basically because it plays PS1 games). And then, she asked me what I was going to buy next. I told her my next purchase was going to be the `Cube, and she asked me why not the X-Box ...
And that's when I had to think for a second. Putting all the Microsoft vs. Nintendo BS aside, the REAL reason why I'm not getting a `Box on the 15th is simply cost. I don't have five bills that I can drop on a game system, not this close to Christmas. I have every intention of getting one eventually, but the only reason I'm not getting one this month is because I can't. The `Box is a great machine. Powerful as hell. And don't get me wrong, the Gamecube is awsome as well. And I don't regret my preordering it. But the only game I plan on getting with my `Cube is Rouge Leader. The rest aren't grabbing me. And the only game that grabbed me on the `Box right now is Halo. I had to ask myself if I could just get the `Box and Halo, which really is a fantastic game from everything I've seen and read, would the decision between the two have been harder to make?
So I ask you guys the same question. If there were no bundles, just the `Box and any one game you want, would you still be leaning towards the Gamecube? Bill made it easy for us to be anti-X-Box. Sony really pissed me off with the PS2 forcing us to buy a bundle. But at the time, it was the only game in town. If the X-Box launched, sans the bundle maddness, what would be in your living room come the end of November ....
By the way, my answer would be both, `cause I could probably not eat for a while to pull it off :) ...
Freddy C.
------------------
" ... Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much ..."
[Edited last by Frederick on November 06, 2001 at 01:41 PM]

Joe Rigali

Agent
I initially preordered the GCN - yes because even with the bundle it was $100 cheaper and I wanted Rogue Leader like Michael Jackson wanted Maculay Culkin. Then I kept hearing about Halo. I read everything I could get my hands on. Then played it. And loved it. I then thought about the $500.00 dollars or so it would take to buy it. Alas - Not this close to Christmas. Then my wife (being the wonderful hottie she is) told me to get it at Best Buy and put it on my BB card, and it would be my Aniversery present (Dec 30)
So because I'm an Idiot - I'm going to Best Buy bright and early on NOV 15th to try and get one.
So my answer is...
I'd still get both. I want them both - I think that the GCN is gonna rock and that the X-box will innovate gaming. Besides alot of developers will be bringing out the best games possible in order to get our $. Its a great time to be a gamer.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have a black 'Cube and an XBox pre-ordered with no bundle.
Yes, if I had to bundle I probably wouldn't have gotten both. I probably would have returned a pile of shrinkwrapped, unopened games the day after Christmas for a credit slip with no receipt, then used the proceeds to help buy another console. :)
I fully expect to buy only 2 or 3 games total this fall and winter for both platforms combined.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'm going with Gamecube simply because of games. I want to play the games on the Gamecube more than the games on the X-Box. I also want to see what Microsoft does in the near future. I want to make they threat the gaming community right. Another reason is that I'm old school and can't pass up a new Nintendo system. Which brings me to the price issue, a PS2, Gamecube and X-Box all in the same year? Nope, I can't bring myself to do it.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
And that's when I had to think for a second. Putting all the Microsoft vs. Nintendo BS aside, the REAL reason why I'm not getting a `Box on the 15th is simply cost. I don't have five bills that I can drop on a game system, not this close to Christmas. I have every intention of getting one eventually, but the only reason I'm not getting one this month is because I can't. The `Box is a great machine. Powerful as hell. And don't get me wrong, the Gamecube is awsome as well. And I don't regret my preordering it. But the only game I plan on getting with my `Cube is Rouge Leader. The rest aren't grabbing me. And the only game that grabbed me on the `Box right now is Halo. I had to ask myself if I could just get the `Box and Halo, which really is a fantastic game from everything I've seen and read, would the decision between the two have been harder to make?
This is the exact same situation that I'm in. I'm getting a Cube at launch, if only for Rogue Leader. I'd like to get an XBox, but I'm saving up for a car right now, and just can't do it. I shouldn't even be doing the Cube, but what the hell. Halo is really the one XBox launch game that interests me.
I know I'll get an XBox eventually, sooner or later. I have no idea when it will be. Maybe sometime next year.
-mwb-

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just looking at launch games, I like Nintendo's lineup more. I could care less about Halo because I have many other good FPS games to play, and on the PS2, they could end up going online soon. DoA3 is close to DoA2:H in terms of gameplay, and I have DoA2:H. Also, looking at the games coming out before Christmas, GameCube definitely wins, purely because of Super Smash Bros. Melee. This game is one game where the madness in it makes the fact that it is so like the original a good thing and not a bad thing (as hypocritical as that sounds compared to what I said about DoA3, its true for SSBM and is a good thing for it).
The GCN is cheaper. Had the XB been cheaper, it would have had a better chance with me.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Based on my experience with the N64 (my previous game-only hardware was the Sega Genesis) and specifically the games Perfect Dark and Rogue Squadron is what has led me to buying the Cube. I did consider going for the PS2 route but was talked out of it by people on this board.
As far as the X-Box. Though it has some Star Wars games and the upcoming Buffy game, I don't have any faith that it will be around in a few years. I am thinking it's going to be ike the 3DO (or Colecovision or Activision). It will be around a year, but then no one will be making games anymore.
Nintendo and Sony will be around for a long time.
[Edited last by LarryDavenport on November 07, 2001 at 11:31 AM]

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting the Gamecube at launch. I don't have any plans for the X-box yet. For me, I can't wait to play Rogue Leader but there are also the potential games down the road which I am most excited about. I have been a fan of the Zelda and Metroid series ever since the beginning. I don't know what Nintendo has planned for these but whatever it is, I have to play them.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Jeff, go to cube.ign.com (also sections there for every other system if you'd like to look).
I am a HUGE fan of Zelda. I can't diss Nintendo because I love them, I remember my birthday on November 30th when N64 launched. I was one of the first to have it. I loved it, the feeling of opening Pilot Wings was great, when my best friend and I woulda read about games in Nintendo Power we'd get "the $hits" because we're all going from super nintendo to a 64 bit system. Now, I so unbelievably want XBox because I have spec sheets on both of them but I can't diss Zelda. Originally, there was going to be a clay looking awesome Zelda, but it was recalled, and now Zelda (jokingly called "Cel-Da") is coming out in a whole new look. The animation is so cartoony and celish, that it almost is like Jet Grind Radio. I got Ocarina of Time SE with the gold cartridge and everything and that was a true game!! I never bothered with Majora's Mask because I didn't have the same feel, I felt as though Majora's Mask was made just for the $$$, OOT was in production for a few years and I got "the $hits" when I read about it, I just didn't want to be put through the challenge again, I felt I went out with a bang when I beat OOT without a strategy guide.
The GC has awesome potential, but, unfortunately XBOX will rule. I will eventually buy it, but I have decided I am buying a game cube, I have yet to tell my best friend even, probobly because he isn't online. I want Super Smash Brothers Melee, Rogue Squadron II, and Zelda, and Perfect Dark 2. I am a gaming freak. Then once I get some more paychecks from Twist Again (once I start soon), I will save for an Xbox.
__________________________________________________ ________
Should I save for an XBOX or an SVS 20-39CS first?
__________________________________________________ ________
I love Nintendo, for all those downers on Nintendo, screw you (in a joking manner).
Go to cube.ign.com and download some footage from the E3 shows. I don't know about Luigi's Mansion but I definitely want Mario Sunshine and Donkey Kong Racing!!
I love video games!
-Bert
[Edited last by BertFalasco on November 06, 2001 at 07:26 PM]

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I never bothered with Majora's Mask because I didn't have the same feel, I felt as though Majora's Mask was made just for the $$$...
Bert;
Believe me. Majora's Mask is anything but a rehash of Ocarina of Time. Don't deny yourself the opportunity to play this great game.
As for the question at hand, I guess I would say that cost factors into my decision to not purchase and Xbox at this time, but it is not the only reason. The fact is, I don't have enough time to play all the games that are coming out for all the systems. I don't even know how I'm going to get through all of the games I want on the Gamecube.
Besides, I'm most excited about the games coming out for the Cube.
------------------
-J.Fo
"I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that."

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I feel the same. Thanks for the heads up, I might just borrow it off my friend then.
"
star.gif
"

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
i want both, but im content with my PS2 until after the holidays. Plus neither system (GCN and XBOX) are making me want to run to the store and stand there at midnight etc.)
i hope that after xmas and close to spring (March ish) I will be able to decide which system to get. But, I do know one thing, I dont really think I want to own 3 gaming systems at one time (like 3 current systems). I have an addiction to gaming, and having 3 gaming systems would either A) send me to an insane assylum or B) divorce court. or C) send me begging on the streets cause im flat broke.
-Jas

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm a Nintendo fanboy who doesn't care for Microsoft.
I'm a Nintendo fanboy because they make excellent games and hardware.
Currently I own a Sega Genesis & Dreamcast, and a Nintendo 64, Game Boy, and Game Boy Advance. I intend only to add the Gamecube.
I don't beleive X-Box offers anything that can't be reproduced on my PC at home. I do beleive that Nintendo does.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I know many will disagree with me, but Zelda is one of the reasons I'm initially going with a GameCube. MS has good games, but so did the Sega Saturn, and I never got one of them.
I will be content with my PS2 through next spring, but I want a GCN, so I will be getting it as soon as possible.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, at launch time the Saturn had a terrible lineup of games. It was practically a year before it really took off.
I got a deal on mine and it is one of the best systems I've ever owned, despite their failure in the US. Amazing shooters and fighters, and the best RPG ever released: Panzer Dragoon Saga. I don't even like RPGs (Final Fantasy? Who cares?), but PDS is the bomb, baby.
Throw in some 8-player Bomberman and 7-player Death Tank Zwei, and you have a console for the ages.
In fact, we'll be playing some Death Tank at Cinciclassic...

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Think about how great the night we all bring home our GAME CUBEs, and how we'll all be up late at night on a weekend along with millions of other kids (and adults). Such a great feeling..

Frederick

Second Unit
Bert, the only downside to that is the fact that it's going to be a Sunday launch, and I forgot to take that Monday off :). I really feel sorry for the guys getting the X-Box on the 15th. Then again, they probably had the sense to make it a long weekend ...
I don't agree with the X-Box/3DO comparison, though. We're talking Microsoft here. They have the funds to keep the X-Box a contender for a long time.
I do agree with Jas about having to support 3 systems. I have 3 now (PS2, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64), not counting the Gameboy Advanced, and when they all were cranking out games, I was having a real problem keeping up! Add that to a healthy Home Theater addiction, and growing DVD collection ... my God, how do we do this??????
Freddy C
------------------
" ... Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much ..."

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I have several reasons: The X-Box, being built as a modified computer instead of developing a proprietary system, seems likely to have computer-like problems (ala the blue screen of death).
Price is another factor, the GameCube is cheaper and has so many cool exclusive games (Eternal Darkness, Perfect Dark 2, Mario Sunshine, Zelda) in the works for 2002. I still refuse to purchase a PS2, which has many quality mature games but suffers from a dearth of platformers. At 25, I am still at heart a Banjo-Mario-Zelda-Spyro Platformer kind of guy with a spike of love for Dark-Bond-Logan FPS's.
But even if X-Box were the end all, be all of game machines with the coolest of cool games I still wouldn't buy one. As a longtime Apple fan, I despise Microsoft, and in particular Bill Gates, too much to consciously purchase one of their products.
[Edited last by David Williams on November 11, 2001 at 11:00 PM]

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
But even if X-Box were the end all, be all of game machines with the coolest of cool games I still wouldn't buy one. As a longtime Apple fan, I despise Microsoft, and in particular Bill Gates, too much to consciously purchase one of their products.

There's a good reason.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks