What's new

Question for the Bass Gurus Needed Crazy Bass (1 Viewer)

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Craig Treusdell
Ur responce about ur room size along with Kyle Richardson and Brian Bunge and ThomasW are close to the info i was looking for. I really wanted people to read what i had asked and inform me as to what room size and power they r using unlike the other non informative posts many seem to have. i've been in this industy for 15 yrs designing award winning car audio installs also completed Alpine and Rockford Fosgate School many yrs ago So my knowledge is there. Just haven't really messed with home Subs really Most car audio subs we have done stay tuned at around 26-35hz unlike home at 20 or lower. Id like to obtain a really really low low bass with decent output. Still wonder about the other equipment i have and if its worth using. And can a Proamps prein damage a home receivers sw preout?.

As well the reason i asked for experienced people is Im tired of 20 yr olds telling me stuff i already Know and am aware of.

Thanks again

Alos where r the theil small parameters for the tumlut

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose etiquette wasn't in the rockford school curriculum eh? If you do any sort of reading in here, you'll see many many people using proamps (crown, qsc, samson, peavey, etc..) for their subwoofers in conjunction with their receivers. You should really try to definte what this "crazy bass" or "low low bass with decent output" is and you'll get some better help.
And assuming this place is full of "20 yr olds tellin you stuff you already know" is pretty much the same thing as people assuming you don't know anything about the subject, don't you think Mr.15 yrs in the industry?

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Thomas;)
Just Noticed that Doh
I was playing around with WInIsd (not the one from adires site} and Noticed in comparison That
The Tumlut Needs a Smaller box then a tempest and has simular fs and spl Based on 150 watts input.
And In a 218L temepest encloser The Tumlut rolls off between 18Hz to 30Hz a little better then a tempest. Actually the Tumlut has a rise at 20 hz by 2 db over 30hz in that encloser tuned to 17hz. Nicely designed driver and fun driver to play with. Not sure about the value though.

Also anyone here get 100 plus db at 20HZ ???? In yer house
Id like you to tell me what u feel or hear at that low FS And possible what power and driver ur using Thanks again
Oh Crazy Bass to me is eye blurring body shakin bass
Like This freind who had 2x 21 inch Techton subs in 20 cubic ft encloser . the OMG factor

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Luitz,

I've got 3 different subs in that house that can do that without breaking a sweat...

This one contains one dozen Adire Shiva's

This one has two BPD1503, they're sort of like Tumults

This contains an HE-15, again sort of like a Tumult

Note that Tempests and Tumults are completely different animals. Tempests are quite good. Tumults are insane and they like BIG power

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen those before. Nice
So in comparision the dancing shivas compared to the other enclosers who wins ?? Which goes lower ? based on the same power input.

The dancing shivas win the omg factor:D
Which do u find u listen to more?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Well you can't compare them with the same power. Given the huge displacement the 12 Shiva's play lower and louder than the others.

I have a second IB with 4 Shiva's. The two IB's get used everyday. The other subs are actually just stored in the basement

Tumult is a great driver. They didn't exist when I built the other 'box' subs. If they had I would have used them.

Have you seen the 'Everest' made by Acoustic-Visions? If not I'd suggest taking a good look at it. Seems like his link is down.

Anyway it's a 5cf box with 2 Tumults and 4 PR's. With a big enough amp should do structural damage to any house.

Luitz -
The Tempest in the Adire alignment has a long smooth rolloff. In my large living room it sounds great. Not the boomy muddy sound I have heard from so many ported subs. And deep too. The Tumult using two 18" Stryke PRs (2500g mass) in a 5ft^3 box is much flatter, with a -3dB around 21Hz, tuned around 17Hz. This sub has a much different sound -- cleaner, deeper, and what I want. I also have another Tumult in a 2.5ft^3 sealed enclosure. I'm still not sure which way I want to go (both PRd or sealed), but hey, I've waited this long.
The one Tumult is by far more than the one Tempest, in bass, SQ, cost, and amp requirements. But also a smaller box.

I am using a QSC RMX2450 with the two Tumults (750w x 2) and a Pioneer receiver (which of course I want to upgrade soon), connected by a Dayton 25ft rca cable using a Radio Shack rca-to-mono 1/4inch plug. I also cut off the ground plug on the pro-amp to remove hum. No problems yet and none expected.

I really wish I had something more like 2 QSC PLX1602s so I could drive the Tumults with 1600w each.

The two Tumults in the current setup do not do what can be done in a car, but they are excellent. And they can be felt.

I tested the Tempest in my Tahoe (using the ported box described above) and it was the sound I have been looking for. All types of music finally sounded good with a ported sub in my car, including dance and bass. I plan on using a Tumult in my ImpalaSS tuned flat to around 20Hz, hoping it will give me the same effect as in the Tahoe/Tempest.

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
Craig Treusdell Thanks again interesting
what program allows u to model drivers with PR's. And how did u measure how much hotglue to add for weight?

Also what are your Sw preouts on your reciever setup at and the gain on the QSC??

As for ur Tahoe with its big interior its gunna own in Spl and lower FS vrs ur ImpalaSS, But the effect in the car would be nice to have in a home. Although the cars bass is more around 30hz vrs the lower stuff. I not fond of what I call Basketball Base (pong pong type sound ya know?). I like a more deep earth shaken low bass

Thanks again for more great info

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Can I save money for a psychiatrist if instead of "Crazy Bass" I just get "mildly eccentric bass"?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Luitz,

IIRC, the issue with home receivers and pro amps is an impedance mismatch. I've got a Sherwood Newcastle receiver and amp powering my Tumult with a Crown K2 amp. I am not having any problems with my setup at all.

Also, as to the value of the Tumult, if you look at any driver sold in retail car audio stores even at $1K each the Tumult will still stomp all over them.

I am using WinISD Pro to model this. While I have LEAP 5, I haven't really put it to good use yet. Maybe when Adire releases their new 6.5 mids....

The Stryke 18" PRs can be purchased with either 1600g or 2500g mass added. I bought the 1600g along with 900g of steel in a cylinder shape (whatever it's called). I used Gorilla Glue to secure it. I did this to try different weights, but should have listened to those that already new and just bought the 2500g PRs. 5ft^3 internal volume and 2 Stryke 18" PRs weighted to 2500g per Tumult is my choice. You can buy this all from Kyle.

I haven't measured the preout voltage on my Pioneer SW out, but I set SW out to maximum (+10, I think). I have never heard distortion from the sub, so I assume it's okay. The QSC gain is usually around 26 for movies (just past half-way), and maxed for bass-heavy music. I plan on adding a Rane PE17 parametric eq, for both the infrasonic filter, room mode control, and gain. One of these days I'll break out the oscope and check the line and speaker levels.

Yeah I know it's more a shot in the dark going from the Tahoe to Impala due to interior volume, but I'm going to take a chance. It seems like most ported boxes in cars are tuned to 35-40Hz with a very large peak. I don't look forward to re-glassing the trunk. The last time took 5 gallons of resin and many hours stuffed in the trunk. This time I will seal the trunk from the car to keep the bass from leaking into the trunk and creating that annoying trunk-rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks