What's new

Question about what resolutions my TV supports (1 Viewer)

Asura

Auditioning
I'm new to HDTV, I bought the Sony KV-32HS510, says it's supports 1080i.

I'm still new to 480/720/1080

Does my TV support 480i/p, 720i/p, and 1080i/p. If not, which ones does it support, I can't tell.

Thanks

I coudln't post the url, guess it was too big, here's the specs

Features top of page

• FD Trinitron® Picture Tube

• HD Detailer™ Wideband Video Amplifier

• Scrolling Channel Index™ System

• Two Tone Cosmetic Design

• Hi-Scan 1080i™ Display

• Memory Stick® Media Playback (JPEG)*

• DRC™ Digital Reality Creation™ MultiFunction Circuitry

• CineMotion™ Reverse 3-2 Pulldown Technology

• MID™-X Multi Image Driver X Circuitry

• Twin-View™ Two Tuner Picture and Picture

• Hi-Scan 1080i™ Display - Sony's Hi-Scan1080i™ TV's accept the full 1080 interlaced scanning lines (1080i) or 720 progressive scan (720p) from an external HDTV receiver or a compatible high definition digital satellite receiver. It also accepts 480 progressive (480p) scanning lines from compatible DVD video sources.

• Digital Reality Creation™ (DRC™)-Multifunction Circuitry - This Sony proprietary technology displays four times the picture resolution compared to conventional models for excellent picture quality.

• CineMotion™ Reverse 3-2 Pulldown Technology - is a fixed algorithm irrespective of source which preserves the integrity of movie film frames to create the best possible image

• DVI-HDTV Interface (Digital Visual Interface) - has been added for the latest generation in high definition television connectivity. A single wire delivers a full digital uncompressed HD signal that can be received from any DVI set top box.

• Multi Image Driver (MID™ X) Circuitry - With Sony's Twin View™ 2 Tuner Picture and Picture you can watch 2 full motion pictures side by side. Together, Twin View, and Sony's proprietary Multi Image Driver X Circuitry allows you to view analog along side of HDTV at the same time on the same screen. Also, with MID™ X both picture images are improved to 480 progressive image quality.

• FD Trinitron® Picture Tube

• HD Detailer™ Wideband Video Amplifier

• Scrolling Channel Index™ System

• Two Tone Cosmetic Design

• Memory Stick® Media Playback (JPEG)*

• Video Features

• Dynamic Focus™ Circuitry

• Dynamic Picture™ Circuitry

• Trinitone® Color Temperature

• ClearEdge VM™ (Wideband Velocity Modulation Scanning)

• Vertical Aperture Compensation

• Vertical Center Adjustment

• 3 D Digital Comb Filter

• Auto Program

• Caption Vision (CC)

• Channel Fix

• Channel Label

• Channel Skip/Add

• Clock/Timer Two Event

• Energy Star® Compliant

• Favorite Channel With Preview

• Front Button Menu Control

• Picture Freeze

• Channel Jump

• On Screen Display (English/Spanish/French)

• Program Palette™ (Vivid/Movie/Standard/Sports)

• Tilt Correction

• Sleep Timer Function

• Speed Surf™ Channel Selection

• V Chip Parental Control

• Video Label

• Auto Pedestal Clamp

• Auto White Balance

• High Voltage Regulator

• Audio Features

• TruSurround® SRS® Audio (7.5W x 2 With 15W Sub)

• Steady Sound® Automatic Volume Control With BBE® Audio Effect

• Auto Mute Tuner

• Auto SAP

• Audio Output (Fixed/Variable)

• Supplied Accessories

• AA Battery (2)

• Remote Control (RM-Y190)

• Instruction Manual

• Optional Accessories

• A/V Stand SU-32HS1

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hi-Scan 1080i™ Display - Sony's Hi-Scan1080i™ TV's accept the full 1080 interlaced scanning lines (1080i) or 720 progressive scan (720p) from an external HDTV receiver or a compatible high definition digital satellite receiver. It also accepts 480 progressive (480p) scanning lines from compatible DVD video sources.

480i I am sure would be in there, as they all handle what is called Standard Definition 480i.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It accepts 720p but converts it to 1080i. So what you get with this excellent set is 1080i and 480p (use 480p with DVD). Oh, and welcome to Home Theater Forum.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
From what you describe, the TV will take in 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. What comes out on the picture tube is not stated, most likely it is 1080i only with 480i and 480p video converted (upconverted; scaled). It is not clear whether 720p is downconverted to 540p which goes through the final 1080i circuits with no problem, or is really upconverted to 1080i which requires more complex circuitry. Only a test pattern can prove the latter.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
All of Sony's current HD-ready sets will accept 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

480i is upconverted by the set's DRC (digital reality creation). There are 3 DRC settings:

1-Interlaced--converts 480i to 960i
2-Progressive--converts 480i to 480p
3-Cinemotion--converts 480i to 480p and applies 3/2 pulldown to reconcile the 24 fps of film to the 30 fps of video.

480p is displayed natively, the DRC setting choices are not available when the set is fed 480p. The set does not convert 480p to 540p like Hitachi, Toshiba, and some others.

720p is converted to 1080i.

1080i is displayed natively.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks