What's new

Question about trailer hitches (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I'm interested in buying a hitch mounted bicycle rack for my Honda CRV. I don't currently have a hitch installed. Honda's hitch uses a 1 1/4 inch receiver and the tongue weight is rated at 150 pounds. The question I have is that total the actual weight the hitch will support? I'm looking for a three bike rack. I figure the rack will probably weigh about 50 pounds and the bikes probably weight 30 pounds each. That would be about 140 pounds total. However, the CRV has the spare tire mounted on the rear door, so the rack will have to extend out a decent amount. I'm concerned that this will add a significant amount of stress on the hitch over and above the actual weight of the rack and bikes, especially if I'm rolling over potholes and rough roads. Should a hitch be able to handle that additional torque and stress or should I look intro getting something else?

chris_everett

Second Unit
I don't think that you would have a problem. An actual trailer will put more stress on the hitch. I saw that the CR-V is rated to tow 1500 pounds, so they probably just got the 150 tongue rate by taking 10% of that.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I don't think you will find a rear hitch mounted bike rack that will fit with that spare tire on the back. They just don't extend that far out and even if it did it would be unsafe. I have a yakima big horn and can't imagine it extending out any further.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I'd actually looked into this previously and was told by someone at Honda that the frame for the spare wasn't designed to hold an additional 100 pounds or so and I could wind up damaging the rear door.

I'm beginning to think that I might have to get a standard rack and remove the spare any time I want to mount the rack, which would be a pain in the ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks