Question about the Samsung LN-R268W LCD television.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DustinV, Apr 14, 2006.

1. DustinV

DustinV Auditioning

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I have a question about the Samsung LN-R268W LCD, which I would like to buy. I read in an Amazon user review that this model will not display closed captions using HDMI, component, etc. connections. Now, I believe closed captions are different than subtitles but I want to make sure because I watch many foreign films. Does anyone know if this tv will display subtitles from dvds properly when using the connections mentioned above? I don't want to purchase it only to find out I can't watch more than half the dvds I enjoy watching. Thank you.

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I have the 269, same as the one you are looking at with the hd tuner built in. I'll check over the weekend for you. I am currently hooked up with component cable to my dvd player.

3. DustinV

DustinV Auditioning

Thanks a lot man. I appreciate your help.

4. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

If I understood your question correctly, I think you should be fine. When watching satellite tv connected by S-video, I could enable/disable the captions through the tv menu. When I switched to watching a dvd over component, the option to enable/disable the captions was not available over the tv. I could use the dvd player's menu to enable subtitles on the dvd. I didn't test it over hdmi. Hope that helps.

5. DustinV

DustinV Auditioning

Thank you very much, that answers my question.