What's new

Question about the Cyberhome CH-DVD300S (1 Viewer)

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I read a long time ago here at the HTF that the above is region free. Are new models being sold still region free? Do you have to do any hack? There's a stack on eBay all claiming region free capability but it's the same price at BB.com and I don't have to pay $25+ shipping at BB (what do they take me for).

My guess is that this cheapy model has no scaling and that for correct sizing of R2 anamorphic etc etc but I only want a R2 player for playing some British TV on DVD (all 4x3). So, I have no need for the better featured $300 models out there.

Thanks

N

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Yes, I just picked one up yesterday from BB for $39.99.

Leave tray empty, turn on, when it shows "No Disc" hit menu-1-9, use enter key to select region.

Chris

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I picked one up the other day too, about the same price at Wal-Mart in Canada, Feb./04 version (yes, they vary as to some features and playing ability apparently). I haven't even opened the box yet since I bought it for strictly non-R1/R0 play and I don't have any of those discs yet, but wanted to grab the player since they don't last long and they've been out of stock for ages. Anyway, check out nerd-out.com for all the info. If you have a WS TV there are no scaling problems, but if a 4x3 TV then anamorphic WS PAL will not scale properly to NTSC. Just about every PAL->NTSC player handles 4x3 PAL just fine, it's the other stuff that separates the pricier models. For casual use this player should do, but I have no doubt it will die quickly.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Thank you all! Off to BB ... on sale at $36.99 too, cool.

Edit - actually, $36.99 at bb.com but $34.99 at the store when I picked-up.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks