Question about the "Blue Thunder" DVD release

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by bmasters9, Dec 23, 2010.

1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Supporting Actor

Ben Masters
    I have a question about Sony's release of "Blue Thunder," ABC's short-lived '84 series: On the closing credits, where the CPT "80s Coke Lady" would appear after the Rastar/Public Arts IAW card (that card was against a blue screen), is the Coke Lady there, or has it been replaced with the SPT logo? I'm asking because I had been thinking about purchasing the DVD release of "Blue Thunder."

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I checked for you. The blue Rastar card is followed by the newer Sony logo, rather than the original "Coke lady" version.

I always prefer the original company indicators be left intact, but it's never a deal-breaker for me. I can understand how the

current corporate ownership would rather not have a show's prior owner be identified any longer.

3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Supporting Actor

Ben Masters

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I thought it worthwhile to find out because, for one thing, I was interested in purchasing this release to see why "Blue Thunder" didn't last very long on ABC, as compared to "Airwolf," its CBS competition. But you're right-- it shouldn't be a dealbreaker, so long as the episodes themselves are complete (which I believe they are).

4. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I should have mentioned that the transfers on Blue Thunder are really nice. The back of the case indicates Remastered in High Definition, but one never knows what to expect. It's hard to believe Sony took the effort to make new transfers for this short-lived 11-episode series, but I'm glad they did. The transfers are far superior to the ones for the more popular Airwolf.

5. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    I own this series on DVD as well, and it's a nice 80s flashback, in the spirit of The A-Team, Knight Rider, etc. I liked the cast and I liked the main title theme, although often times the scripts needed more work. The prints do indeed look great, far better than when the show originally aired on ABC.