What's new

Question about Superman: The Movie... (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
In the first Superman, Jor-El mentions that Kal-el has a dense molecular structure on Earth. If that is true, how is Superman able to fly? Wouldn't a dense molecular structure end up limiting Superman's ability to fly through the atmosphere? I'm looking for a scientifically-oriented explanation here.
EDIT: Perhaps I should have said: "PSEUDO-scientific explanation." I know science can't explain the rationale behind a fictional character like Superman, but it's fun to be pseudo-scientific about it. :)
------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!
[Edited last by Brian Harnish on September 20, 2001 at 10:31 PM]

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Even if molecular density made Superman weigh ten times that of your average human the power he got from the sun was enough to allow him to fly.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I don't think that Superman is the type of movie that worries too much about scientific explanations.
Sure, it's silly. Sure, it doesn't make sense from a reality standpoint. Does it need to? Not really. Superman is a fantasy, set in a world very much like our own. The same rules don't necessarily apply.
------------------
-J.Fo
"And you can tell Rolling Stone magazine that my last words were... 'I'm on drugs!'"

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Although I am not certain about this, in the original Superman comic, Superman wasn't able to fly but only jump - at least that's what I read somewhere - I've never read the comic.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV
[Edited last by alan halvorson on September 19, 2001 at 08:03 AM]

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Forget scientific believability, I wish Superman could turn time back and allow Richard Donner to make the films the way he wanted to, without 'help' from the Salkinds.
Superman: The Movie is great ... until the ending. He disobeys his father, pays NO penalty, and no attention is given to how he destroyed both missiles.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
What ever happened to the good old fashioned notion of suspension of disbelief? :)
Please do not attempt to fly yourself, no matter how dense you might be.
laugh.gif

------------------
ribbon.gif
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
MOVING ON DOES NOT MEAN FORGETTING.
[Edited last by Rain on September 19, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
As we know anything with mass has a gravitational field. Most things we encounter on earth (except the earth itself) have a negligible gravity field. Superman's molecular structure is so dense that he has almost as much mass as the Earth, thus the gravitational field of the earth to him is negligible. This is what allows him to fly.
Or something like that.
:)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The dense molecular structure is what makes him invulnerable
Because his body is designed for much higher gravity, he can leap tall buildings in a single bound. How he flies is still a mystery
wink.gif

Yes, in the original comics he could only jump
Jeff Kleist

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, yes, your answers are all well and good...
But could Wonder Woman conceive his child?
biggrin.gif

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
What about artificial insemination, or in vitro fertilization? Do you think a child could be conceived with a human female using these methods? The only problem would be finding a container strong enough to withstand the force of Ol' Supes releasing his man sauce.
------------------
"I'd rather have 2 girls at 21 than 1 girl at 42." - W.C. Fields
"One man's simple is another man's huh." - David Stone

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Yes, yes, we've all seen Mallrats.
wink.gif

Now let's get down to the important question: does Superman wash his costume? And if so, does he use hot or cold water?
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I've always wondered about why he has to take off his clothes the first time, but they magically vanish when he dives out the window? Heck of air friction you have there :)
Hmm, even though the costume is impervious to bullets and fire, is it colorfast? That's a good question
wink.gif

Jeff Kleist

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
O.k. Brian now pay attention...
y5rbgfhy7--=090`kh';y]]tu is equal to 65ngh';[]ierij67=`1 over 67uymgb../[=-42` and is divisable by 46hhyy=-``1';./87jmgf but the property of 56ngtuyu[]]0-=`j is less then that of 65ngujujh][-=7`?jnu68, and the subatomic weight of 786jhn0h[[-`mm/.:ut=8%. However, 76u-9=`/[] is only half of 765=0-`i']\t909=`7%, making it i458950u]]0-=9-=.. of the subatomic region of 868----=][`42-%^3#.
And THATS how Superman can fly, see, it's not so hard.
biggrin.gif

------------------
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.!
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 20, 2001 at 02:09 PM]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
John, you made a slight mis-calculation, there... 'i458950u]]0-=9-=..' should be 'i[458950u]0-=9-=..' :)
Superman: The Movie is great ... until the ending. He disobeys his father, pays NO penalty, and no attention is given to how he destroyed both missiles.
I found that to be the most powerful part. All this time, he's playing by the rules of a man dead for decades (or centuries, depending on who you believe
tongue.gif
. Finally, when hit comes to punch, he follows the advice of the man who raised him over the advice of the man who saved him. It shows that he has made the final step into embracing humanity. The fact the he payed NO penalty is a key part. It shows that the old man from a dead world no longer has any power. We probably would have seen this expanded upon, had Donner gotten to helm Superman II.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
There was mention in a book how he would kill a human woman during intercourse, for reasons best left implied upon.
I bet he's certainly, "more powerful than a locomotive". Let's hope for Lois' sake though that he's not "faster than a speeding bullet".
patriot.gif

Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks