What's new

Question about splicing telephone wire (1 Viewer)

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Simple question (I think)-- My telepone wire is too short to reach where I can connect it (I need about another 30 feet). Can I just splice another piece to it? This is the basic 4 strand wire (not CAT 5). It will be used for a single line telephone only.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Yes, no problem. You probably only really need the green and red wires, but it wouldn't hurt to hook up all of them.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ouch! That’s pretty pricey for 4 splices.

FYI, Radio Shack is a total rip-off for most stuff like this. If you have a local electronics hobby store, you can probably get a box of 25 or 50 for not much more.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

PaulT

Supporting Actor
The telephone company in my area twists each of the wires together and puts a small piece of heatshrink over the twist and heats it - that's it. Since it is usually stapled down, there is no need of further 'strain relief'.

If the splice is in the open, get a junction box.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

Go to your local home depot or other hardware store I bought a package of 25 for about 5 bucks. Those caps are a great way to go for that stuff, I talked to the phone wiring contractors at work and thats what they recommend, not to mention the phone company used those in mny outdoor junction box.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I went with the very low tech solution of twisting the individual wires together, covered each splice with black electrical tape and then covered the whole thing with electrical tape. Not pretty, but it will never be seen and I now have a functioning phone in my basement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks