What's new

Question about room size for my system (1 Viewer)

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering moving my system into a new room in my house, but i'm not sure if it's a good idea, so i could use some helpful feedback. The new room is 12 ft. wide and 15 ft. long. And here is a list of my stuff:
Panasonic 42" Plasma Screen
Denon 2802 (later this week to be supplemented by a Parasound855A Amp)
Mirage BPS400 Sub
Mirage OM-9 mains
Mirage OMC3 center
Mirage Frx Rears
Mirage Omnisat Rear center
I could really use some feedback on this. Thanks!
Ed
:)

Hal_J

Agent
could you tell us about your old room and what you did or did not like about it?

Yogi

Screenwriter
It looks like an excellent system. The only thing I can suggest is going to a more powerfull amp in the 125W range (Parasound 1205). That way you will be assured that you have adequate headroom to play the dynamic movie scenes without compression. I dont know what the sensitivity of Mirages is. If its in the 93+ range and if they dont dip terribly below 4 ohms you might be OK with the 855 but if they are only in 86db range and if they are a difficult load to drive then you might be better off with a 1205. Also that way when you change houses and move to bigger room or get insensitive speakers in the future you will be covered. You can also go used for amps as there is nothing in them that will break during normal use and if they dont break in the first three months of use they will last you a lifetime. You could find many 125Wx5 amps in the $500 range used on audiogon or e-bay. Rotel, B&K, Parasound (you already know that), Adcom, Marantz are all good choices.

Best of luck.

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hal:

Nothing wrong with the current room, just wanted to have a little fun trying out a different room to see if it would be better. It's a couple feet bigger in both length and width.

Yogi:

Thanks for the feedback. I really did want to get a 1205, but I couldn't find a good deal on one on either ebay or audiogon. I'll keep my eyes open if the 855 doesn't give me all I wanted(i got it off ebay too). I had also looked at the highly recommended Marantz MA500 monoblocks, but they are a bit difficult to find. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Anyone else with ideas????
thx

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure if it's unclear or not, but I meant the current room is bigger, not the new one. It sounds great in there, but I wanted to try out something different is all. Thanks!

ed

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I would think that the new room would be too small for the OM-9's. Floorstanders typically need a good amount of room to do their thing correctly, and you might find that your new room doesn't allow them to reach their full potential, as opposed to a bookshelf model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks