What's new

Question about returning my 36" Toshiba TV back to Sears!! (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
About 8 months ago I purchased a Toshiba TV from Sears. Recently, I have noticed a horizontal line halfway between the top and the bottom of the screen that runs the entire length of the screen. It is extremely noticable in high contrast (white, any light colors) screens. During black scenes, it isn't noticable.

I have seen the line using all kinds of input from cable, DVD player, VHS player, sattelite, and Xbox. It's there for all inputs.

Could I take this back to Sears where I bought it 8 months ago and swap out my unit for a new one? What is the policy on returns like this? It hasn't been 1 year yet, so I know it's still under warantee.

Help me guys, thanks!

It came w/ a 1 year warentee. But instead of having them fix it up and all, do you think it's possible that they'll just swap my unit for a new one?

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
I am guessing that unless you purchased their (Sears extended warranty plans, you're going to need to contact Toshiba for warranty service. I believe any defects from the time where the store's return policy ends to the end of the warranty period is handled by the manufacturer. The TV is warranted by the Toshiba, and not Sears - unless you purchased their extended warranty service where they would replace it for you immediately. So, my belief is that you're going to need to go to Toshiba at this point.

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know if sears still has their satisfaction guarantee BUT if they do then yes you can take it back

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
after 90 days you have to go directly to manufacturer unless you purchased an extended warranty plan through Sears. At least thats how it was when I worked there in that department.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I'd still try the store Kurt. Sears is usually very customer friendly and they generally want to make you happy at all costs. If you just request a new tv i'll bet they do it for you. Just be a little persistant and you'll get it done.

Dan.B

Steven Sims

Stunt Coordinator
I'm all for stores helping out customers, but seriously, why should anyone expect a store to take back an 8 month old tv. That is why they sell extended warranties, and if you didn't purchase one, it is the manufacturers responsibility to take care of the problem. If the store has a clearly stated return policy, then I don't expect them to break it if the product is still covered under the manufacturer's warranty. That's what the warranty is for in the first place.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I'm not saying anyone should expect the store to return the tv. I'm just saying why not try? More often than not you'll be suprised at what stores are willing to do for you.

Dan.B

BrianDB

Agent
Which toshiba is it. If it is one of thier HDTV sets you have 1 year in home and 2 year CRT warranty. Call your local service center and have them either fix or replace it. Don't bother sears with that B.S. they will just tell you to take it to the shop. I highly doubt that they will exchange for a new one. Just my opinion.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And a good one at that.

Yes, call Toshiba; the company has a good service reputation. And what model are we talking about exactly? Can you go into a little more detail about this phenomenon?

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
This is the newest model of their 36" non-HD TV. Is just a regular curved, tube TV. I've read of other people experiencing this same white horizontal line with this TV.

What can I do, I would like to just exchange my TV with a new one if Sears would allow that.

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if Sears takes back 8 month old TVs and exchanges them for new ones - then let me know because I want to buy my next TV from them!

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I can't remember where I read it but just recently (maybe within a week) some Sears employee was talking about this and he told a story about returning a pair of shoes some woman had bought a year prior. He said they gave her a full cash refund and all! It might have been on an after hours message board or I might have even heard it on one of the many talk radio shows I listen to while at work all day.

Dan.B

KirkA

Agent
"Satisfaction Guaranteed" is not just a nice logo, it's legal and binding. If you make a big enough stink they will take it back.

If you go in with the attitude of just seeing if they would be so kind as to let you return it, you may not have much sucess. I'll bet though, that if you haul you TV in and plunk it on the counter and make a big enough stink they will take it back.

I worked at Sears for a while many moons ago, they would take back a lot of stuff. People regularly buy some tool etc. just to use it for a project and return it, free rental. I've seen them take back some pretty old stuff too. I tore out a 60yd carpet job and refunded the full purchase price because it had a small black spot in one room.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
so what exactly does an EXTENDED warranty cover?
Everythign except taking a baseball bat and smashing a tv?

does it cover burn in and stuff like that?

how can you tell if your tv is burned in?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks