Question about portable DVD players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MoG, Jun 12, 2002.

1. MoG

MoG Stunt Coordinator

Hi!
    I did a bit more research and found a great link:
    http://www.samsungusa.com/images/pro...00_compare.jpg
    Taking into account it is on Samsung's web site, it seems to be a great comparison of all 3 portable DVD players I'm interested in.
    I wasn't aware the Samsung had Faroudja processing.
    Does anyone know the differences between Poly-Si TFT and Amorphous-Si TFT?
    Finally, the only thing missing from the chart is which player has component outputs, but I found out both the Toshiba and Samsung do.
    (Of course, now I need to find a way to see the toshiba and samsung in person!)
    Samsung DVD-L100
    Panasonic DVD-LA95
    Toshiba SD-P2000
    Has anyone used all 3 of these? I've seen the LA95 and liked it. Haven't seen the other two yet.
    I'd also appreciate real-world battery-life comments.

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I think Poly means 2, and amor means 1 (or love) but I do know about the batteries... they suck. they dont last, you can barely get through a movie thats any longer than 100 minutes. get the car pack or the as adapter... I wish they could make a better battery just my opinion

3. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

I just fired up a toshiba sd-p2000 today at the best buy i work at. Popped in the fast and the furious and just seeing the text in the fbi warnings the first thing i said was WOW! IT was RAZOR SHARP. The movie itself looked gorgeous. I wasn't even wearing my glasses and it was a awesome picture. I guess a 9" screen with that high resolution really makes a huge difference. I feel sorry for anyone with their apex or mintek portable players.

4. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Stunt Coordinator

Watch out for artificial edge sharpening that can't be defeated. I tried a Panasonic that put it's own edge on everything.

Brian G.