What's new

question about phantom menace and anakin (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
anakins mother said there was no father, she just carried the baby. I'm confused.... did he magically appear?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I heard somewhere that the whole story is supposed to start out like a retelling of the bible. Though I'm not sure where Jesus turned evil and cut his son's hand off, so I'm sure it just has loosely based for the beginning.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Or another possibility...
He is an experiment based on the cloning techniques that are being developed. Possibly under the direct guidance of the Emperor himself.
Just a theory...no facts to back it up.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Another posibility ...
The mother was assaulted and decided to keep the child. In her mind there is no father.
Of course since the Star Wars films are made for children, I highly doubt that Lucas would introduce this plot line.
Chris

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Since Lucas has made mincedmeat out of the Star Wars lore, I'd guess Anakin was born in a test tube marked "Bad Child Actors-- For the Love of God Do Not Use" and his mom was artificially inseminated by her doctor. Doctor Igor to be exact. Remember, he did pick the brain that said "Abby Normal."
laugh.gif

Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've read various rumors WRT the Emperor being involved with the birth and I'm not sure what I think.
I'll throw this out though. In a couple of shots in Anakin's room on Tatooine you can see a faded mural painted on the ceiling. Only a couple of shots though. When you look closely the pattern of the mural is EXTREMELY similar to the patterning of the tattoos on Darth Maul's head.
Seriously, go look. Chapter 15, 3:43. It's a head shot of C-3PO and the faded red and black patterning is right there on the ceiling. The shot is angled such that there is a very clear view of the ceiling and it seems to be intentionally showing the painting in the background. I believe that it's there for a reason. It's the only color on any of the walls or ceilings in the dwelling.
What's the reason? Beats me! But it could be some sort of reference to Maul/Emperor.
I can't believe that it's gone unnoticed so I'm sure that somebody here has discussed the significance or lack thereof for the mural.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sorry, I don't buy it. If the Emperor did have something to do with Anakin's birth, why essentially strand him on Tatooine? Why let him grow up enslaved? Why let him take part in those dangerous pod races? If the Emperor wanted a powerful acolyte that he could have complete control over, why not conceive him, remove him to a controlled environment, and oversee his training from day one? That scenario seems too convoluted to attempt. It's much easier to have Anakin be a product of the Force and to be delivered to the Emperor solely by fate's hand. Just my two cents. Of course, I'm perfectly willing to admit that I could be wrong! :)
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
SteveGon,
I agree with you on some, if not most, of your points. That's why I stated that I don't know what to make of it. It doesn't make a lot of sense. However, you know that Lucas put that painting on the ceiling for a reason and he makes sure that you see it in that shot that I mentioned. Perhaps it's only a subtle reminder of where Anakin is headed, an apprentice of the Emperor just like Maul. Maybe it's more. I just don't know. The only thing that I'm sure of is that it's there for some reason.
Maybe I'm stretching for any explanation other than the force created him. That has never sat well with me.
Check out the scene I mentioned. Do you think that the mural is randomly in there?
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I believe The Midiclorians created Anakin. The reason why he will bring balance is because he will become Darth Vader and hunt down and destroy the Jedi, hence: balance. Of course, then "evil" takes over and the whole balance thing is thrown off.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
I read an interview where Lucas slipped out that Palpitine is the true father of Anakin. I assume Palpitine took her out one night, got her shit faced, waited for her to pass ou and went to work. That is the only explaination for the "I don't know. I carried him. He didn't have a father that I can remmber" crap. That bible stuff is B.S.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Without getting into a whole religious argument here, let me point out that Jesus does not have a monopoly on being a virgin birth. Virgin births were quite common with heroic types back then. Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great were both supposedly virgin births.
And since George Lucas has extensive knowledge of mythology beyond Christianity, I find it highly unlikely that Jesus Christ was the inspiration behind this particular plot point.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Luis A

Second Unit
Something tells me Shmi knows more than she is telling, like maybe she is somehow tied in to Palpatine more than we know.
Another thing, anyone else notice during the final lap of the pod race when Anakin an Sebulba racers were stuck together Shmi looked away from her view screen and the next shot was of Qui Gon Jin looking at Shmi with a funny look on his face? Kind of like he sensed the Force within her. If true why he never mentioned it I don't know. It wll be interesting to see how it all turns out. :) L

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
George has said that the matter of Anakin's parentage will be cleared up in episode II. Not that debating it isn't fun, but there's just so little evidence to go on right now that it seems almost useless to try. To add another tidbit in favour of the Darth Maul theory though, Shmi is wearing a bracelet identical to one Maul is wearing, somewhat suspicous.
------------------
Geoff
Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!
lotrsig.jpg

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
quote: the pattern of the mural is EXTREMELY similar to the patterning of the tattoos on Darth Maul's head.[/quote]
Jim, go back and look closely at the Lars' homestead in A New Hope and you will see the exact same pattern. I highly doubt George Lucas was thinking in 1976 of making the connection to Darth Maul in 1999. It's just a coincidence that Darth Maul's face has a similar design.
Steve Enemark is exactly right. George Lucas didn't use Jesus Christ specifically as the inspiration for the virgin birth. Supposedly, a virgin birth has happened more than once. It's just another case of George Lucas borrowing something from religion or mythology.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493
[Edited last by Tom_G on October 26, 2001 at 08:29 AM]

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Like I said, the midichlorians created Anakin to create balance. The balance is needed becuase you have all these Jedi running around and no one to fight. Vader comes in and hunts down the Jedi bringing... balance.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The balance is needed becuase you have all these Jedi running around and no one to fight. Vader comes in and hunts down the Jedi bringing... balance.
No, that's not the type of "balance" that Anakin was going to bring. Not a balance in the number of people using the force, but rather balance as to why people were using the force, i.e. malevolent purposes.
Vader/Anakin also brought balance to the force when he was redeemed by Luke.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Coressel

Supporting Actor
You could also compare the fatherless Anakin to Buddha or the Dalai Lama. The "chosen one" who is taken from his parent(s) is not strictly a Bible thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks